To bee or not to bee...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was chatting with a friend this evening. His son keeps bees and apparently has about 200 hives, but it's possible that before the end of the year he'll be going abroad to work as a beekeeper and perhaps occasional sheep-wrangler for a few years. The question was raised as to whether I might be interested in taking over the hives whilst he is away.

Needs some serious thought, that. I don't think I've ever had more than twenty hives, so stepping up to ten times that in one hit could be quite a challenge. On the other hand, life doesn't tend to throw these opportunities one's way that often so it might be sensible to grab the chance whilst it's there.

James

200 hives is more or less a full time job
what about extraction facilities and kit/honey storage?
I agree, I'm retired and I look after the best part of 100 colonies which takes me 2-3 days week during most of the summer, more in June and August during extraction. Getting the right extraction room is the key IMO.

Seem to remember you writing,earlier this year, that you might need to start looking for a new job, none of my business how you're set financially but it is something to bear in mind, if you're working on a job that may not show a proper (even that's questionable) payday for another year can you carry it off.

Another issue, if you're managing his bees and something bad happens to them are you covered from claims?

All of that said, if you're looking for a new project then it's not an opportunity you're likely to get a second time.

The biggest questions I would have is what happens when he returns and how long is he likely to be away. You would need a very clear agreement or you could end up looking after the bees for the winter and spring and then find that he comes back at the point where the honey crop is taken ... is it your's or is it his ? Who pays for the consumables ?

Is it just going to be a paid employment ? - ie: you are employed like CGF and the bees, costs and harvest are all down to his employers. Or is it a fixed fee per colony like Newbeeneil works .. Or is it the more risky option of you do all the work and all the crop (be it honey or wax) is your remuneration - possibly along with queen rearing, nuc production etc, ?

What's more important - when he returns you are going to end up with a big hole in your working life ... what do you fill it with ?

There is a massive opportunity here - if you fancy becoming a full time beekeeper you could easily create a lot of additional colonies - but are these then yours or his ?

There's a lot of benefits but there are an even bigger number of potential pitfalls ...

The biggest questions I would have is what happens when he returns and how long is he likely to be away. You would need a very clear agreement or you could end up looking after the bees for the winter and spring and then find that he comes back at the point where the honey crop is taken ... is it your's or is it his ? Who pays for the consumables ?

Is it just going to be a paid employment ? - ie: you are employed like CGF and the bees, costs and harvest are all down to his employers. Or is it a fixed fee per colony like Newbeeneil works .. Or is it the more risky option of you do all the work and all the crop (be it honey or wax) is your remuneration - possibly along with queen rearing, nuc production etc, ?

What's more important - when he returns you are going to end up with a big hole in your working life ... what do you fill it with ?

There is a massive opportunity here - if you fancy becoming a full time beekeeper you could easily create a lot of additional colonies - but are these then yours or his ?

There's a lot of benefits but there are an even bigger number of potential pitfalls ...

Great questions...plenty of food for thought there.

Another issue, if you're managing his bees and something bad happens to them are you covered from claims?
you should certainly look at membership of the BFA if you decide to go for it

Lots of good questions to think about, thank you.

In part it appeals to me, even if it's only for a few years, because my children are now adults and drifting away from home so they'll be supporting themselves more and more, and I think I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm unlikely to go back to working in IT, largely because I really can't face sitting in front of a computer for lots of hours every day any more. Not unless it's doing something I feel is genuinely valuable to society, anyhow. Sadly there's no a lot else I'm really qualified to do, so striking out on my own somehow seems like the probable way forward.

James

Well your computing skills is always a good fallback, It's how Chris Broad of Saltway bees (ChrisB on here) kept his head above water in the thin years. Running 300+ colonies (and raising nine children) - doing a bit of freelancing to take him through the bad seasons when other bee farmers were struggling to keep their heads above the water..

It sounds like a big committment to make to then have the son come back and take it over again. If I was interested in that sort of size operation I think I would want more ownership of it. Maybe if you weren't directly employed & paid to do it agree a proportion of colonies become yours each year, and proceeds from the rest split in whatever proportion you agree.

If you do decide to take up this opportunity then draw up a contract specifying responsibilities, remuneration and liabilities, not forgetting timeline and exit strategy. Also consider if he fails to return, would/ could you take over the operation and how that could be financed / partnership / slow buyout etc.

It is very important these thing are set out in detail, even consider setting up a company giving each shares. Your work for a share of the business perhaps.

A hand shake over a pint one evening is not enough, trust me !

What about route to market? Does he have regular customers or will you suddenly have a load of honey to try to sell?

Who owns the risk? I know I'm the eternal pessimist but, I like to know what happens if something goes wrong. Suddenly you lose an apiary to disease or theft, are you held responsible?

Personally, I would go for it if the terms are favorable.

Also, don't forget the need to get over the self inflicted screw ups that generally come with bees when we cut out the organic growth bit.

....fond memories, not!

In part it appeals to me, even if it's only for a few years, because my children are now adults and drifting away from home so they'll be supporting themselves more and more, and I think I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm unlikely to go back to working in IT, largely because I really can't face sitting in front of a computer for lots of hours every day any more. Not unless it's doing something I feel is genuinely valuable to society, anyhow. Sadly there's no a lot else I'm really qualified to do, so striking out on my own somehow seems like the probable way forward.

James
Best thing I ever did, becoming self employed and changing careers. Never regretted it. Do look at all the angles though, and work through all the possible scenarios good and bad.

Best thing I ever did, becoming self employed
Absolutely. Having worked for somebody else for nine years I took the plunge and opened my own shop from scratch. I spent over twenty years doing a job I loved with every day being different before I took early retirement to an equally idyllic existence.

James

I've done it, twenty two years working for "the major oil company ".
Had enough of lining their pockets and being just another number.

Strangely, where before the bills stacked up and it all seemed a struggle, being full time means I'm in control and although far from easy, I do sleep soundly at night.

Back