LimeWatch UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living just north of Midhurst in West Sussex it is a centre for chestnut fencing unfortunately it is coppiced on a regular program and rarely gets large enough to flower.

Yes there’s several different types, what they are I’m not sure but flowering times do vary. A lot near me are the traditional broad leaf they can start mid June. There’s still a few with flowers but the best is over for me. I’m onto the sweet chestnut mainly and the last of the brambles. Chestnut loves the heat so the next couple of weeks should be good, it’s a dark honey with a strong floral flavour.
I tried it in Italy (sweet chestnut) it’s a v distinctive flavour isn’t it.

I tried it in Italy (sweet chestnut) it’s a v distinctive flavour isn’t it.
Normally it’s mixed in with everything else but every now and then like the drought year 3yrs ago the honey was amazing and dark. Flowering in July it’s normally predictable. Sometimes I’ll check boxes/frames with a torch light honey in 1 pile and dark in another to be extracted separately.

Our Little Leaf Linden is in full bloom and covered with bees. The American Basswood, Tilia americana isn't quite ready. Come on...we need some warm weather. Comb honey supers have been on for a few weeks getting primed for this flow. Come! On!

After getting all excited with the Little Leaf bloom I decided to check the Basswood. Not a bud or a blossom to be seen. Bummer

Normally it’s mixed in with everything else but every now and then like the drought year 3yrs ago the honey was amazing and dark. Flowering in July it’s normally predictable. Sometimes I’ll check boxes/frames with a torch light honey in 1 pile and dark in another to be extracted separately.
Yes definitely extract separate if you can & market it as a single floral for a premium (but that’s a hobbyist speaking!)

Looks a lovely light honey. Never had it but I’ve set up a new apiary this year that has 7 mature huge lime trees in it. The owner said it was flowering quite a few weeks ago…but everyone is talking about limes yielding around now. Do you know are there different varieties? Just wondering if she got it wrong and the limes are due to yield in the nice hot weather we’ve got coming next week…. Be great to have some light honey, I tend to only get medium.
The lime trees have only just started flowering a week ago or so where I am.

My lime avenue is in flower but the bees are not particularly interested. I think the really long dry weather means that there is less nectar in the flowers. Such a shame.

I didn't see any bees on the lime trees across the road, but they were extremely busy for about a week, coinciding with the blossom, and brought in a lot of nectar during that time. As there's no sweet factory with a leaky pipe nearby, I'll assume that they were working the limes.

I didn't see any bees on the lime trees across the road, but they were extremely busy for about a week, coinciding with the blossom, and brought in a lot of nectar during that time. As there's no sweet factory with a leaky pipe nearby, I'll assume that they were working the limes.
You will know if your honey doesn't set!

Thanks, @enrico, for the annual reboot of my favorite thread.

Yes in Solihull the tree's are festooned with flowers. Early I feel this year*. Will update when they open.

* update after reading last year's thread update and the Lime Flpwerong is not early but about right.

Last edited:
Thanks, @enrico, for the annual reboot of my favorite thread.

Yes in Solihull the tree's are festooned with flowers. Early I feel this year*. Will update when they open.

* update after reading last year's thread update and the Lime Flpwerong is not early but about right.
It's renowned as being late June helping out the apparent June gap. To me it all seems to run into one these days!

The buds on the lime trees in the park across the road look poor shrivelled little things compared to last year.

There's dozens of Lime trees on and around Ealing Common and at least one has just started to flower. Hopefully by the weekend they’ll be lots out and the bees will take an interest in it.

Attachments

• 448BDEC4-E14E-4448-AE83-8A98EB3B01D7.jpeg
    448BDEC4-E14E-4448-AE83-8A98EB3B01D7.jpeg
    701.5 KB · Views: 0
There's dozens of Lime trees on and around Ealing Common and at least one has just started to flower. Hopefully by the weekend they’ll be lots out and the bees will take an interest in it.
We need high humidity for a good nectar flow

Latest posts

Back