LimeWatch UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our lime avenue just about to flower. Seem to be less buds on the trees than previous years. Now hoping for some warmer days with only a very gentle breeze - otherwise disappointment may follow like last year.

Not too different here - when it’s not raining, it’s blowing a hooley

3034A62B-20D7-4636-9772-4A57C5CDD1D8.jpeg
The lime trees in the park across the road from my home apiary are in full flower, and at midday there wasn't a bee to be seen on them.

View attachment 32738
The lime trees in the park across the road from my home apiary are in full flower, and at midday there wasn't a bee to be seen on them.

Fickle stuff isn't it. Nectar evaporates off quickly. As soon as the bees start to fly is the best time to see if it's productive for bees.

Not far from farnborough all I can smell is sweet chestnut, the airs thick with it!

Not far from farnborough all I can smell is sweet chestnut, the airs thick with it!
That's on the go too, was driving through earlier and sweet chestnut was very strong by my house (excellent for the garden tree hive), North Camp area more lime than sweet chestnut.

Our Little Leaf Linden is in full bloom and covered with bees. The American Basswood, Tilia americana isn't quite ready. Come on...we need some warm weather. Comb honey supers have been on for a few weeks getting primed for this flow. Come! On!

Looks like the limes been good😀
Looks a lovely light honey. Never had it but I’ve set up a new apiary this year that has 7 mature huge lime trees in it. The owner said it was flowering quite a few weeks ago…but everyone is talking about limes yielding around now. Do you know are there different varieties? Just wondering if she got it wrong and the limes are due to yield in the nice hot weather we’ve got coming next week…. Be great to have some light honey, I tend to only get medium.

Looks a lovely light honey. Never had it but I’ve set up a new apiary this year that has 7 mature huge lime trees in it. The owner said it was flowering quite a few weeks ago…but everyone is talking about limes yielding around now. Do you know are there different varieties? Just wondering if she got it wrong and the limes are due to yield in the nice hot weather we’ve got coming next week…. Be great to have some light honey, I tend to only get medium.
Yes there are different varieties. They often flower for a few weeks but won't yield during all that time. Not all varieties produce equally either.

Yes there’s several different types, what they are I’m not sure but flowering times do vary. A lot near me are the traditional broad leaf they can start mid June. There’s still a few with flowers but the best is over for me. I’m onto the sweet chestnut mainly and the last of the brambles. Chestnut loves the heat so the next couple of weeks should be good, it’s a dark honey with a strong floral flavour.

Yes there’s several different types, what they are I’m not sure but flowering times do vary. A lot near me are the traditional broad leaf they can start mid June. There’s still a few with flowers but the best is over for me. I’m onto the sweet chestnut mainly and the last of the brambles. Chestnut loves the heat so the next couple of weeks should be good, it’s a dark honey with a strong floral flavour.
Used to live near Farnham. Chestnut was my main crop. One of the strongest flavour honeys I have had. I have one small tree here!😆

Latest posts

Back