Light on stores advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My colony on the potting shed roof is getting their nadired super this weekend and I shall leave it there till spring. I’ve got a lot of crystallised dandelion honey in it.

But remember, the situation may be quite different in your location so the 'when' you carry out these manipulations will depend on what is happening in your area.
Eg see Enrico's post 'the season isn't over yet'.

But remember, the situation may be quite different in your location so the 'when' you carry out these manipulations will depend on what is happening in your area.
Eg see Enrico's post 'the season isn't over yet'.
Definitely! It is easy to get carried away seeing the discussions of other beekeepers from all over the country on here, and not react to the actual conditions in your area. For me, being down in Kent, this is always a handy advanced warning to what I need to remember to do before winter, but I tend to be a couple of weeks later before I actually do things like take off my last harvest, or start feeding my bees.

All my supers are still on the hives, starting clearing some on the weekend. Probably have some unripe boxes to nadir which won't be before the end of September I'd imagine, wouldn't dream of doing that at the moment. My mate will probably harvest his supers in October as he doesn't get much Ivy and has plenty of Balsam around.

Isn't beekeeping wonderful with so many different options! :D
My colony on the potting shed roof is getting their nadired super this weekend and I shall leave it there till spring. I’ve got a lot of crystallised dandelion honey in it.
Now, see, if it was full, I would put it on top for the bees to work up into over the winter as the colony ascends.
If it's the residue from extraction, then I put it underneath and remove when empty.
But then ours are all left a super of honey anyway! :D
Horses for courses and if it works for you. :)

Isn't beekeeping wonderful with so many different options! :D

Now, see, if it was full, I would put it on top for the bees to work up into over the winter as the colony ascends.
If it's the residue from extraction, then I put it underneath and remove when empty.
But then ours are all left a super of honey anyway! :D
Horses for courses and if it works for you. :)
If it was full I’d extract it. It’s a 14x12 and doesn’t need a super of honey.

Today I extracted supers from a clients hives. On some frames had the lowest 30mm or so full of what I believe is heather honey! (they have worked hard as the nearest heather must be 1.5 miles away.)
If I nadir these supers with the strips of heather honey will the bees reposition it in the brood box and will they be able to protect this against wasps at this time or should I wait for a few weeks?

Latest posts

Back