Latest varroa researches

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be interested to find out if the DWV type B virus developed as a result of hygienic behaviour or whether the hygienic behaviour resulted from the altered virus type B.

CVB

CVB, why do you assume that bees that survive with varroa MUST be hygienic?
The paper suggests that other mechanisms are at work.

CVB, why do you assume that bees that survive with varroa MUST be hygienic?
The paper suggests that other mechanisms are at work.

I read it as CVB was making an observation rather than an assumption.
Assumptions in Science develop into hypotheses, to be proven or not.
It is called research here in the UK.

Mytten da

Isn't this just diminishing the vitality that nature demands?

Yes, agree, if there is anything that could still be classed as nature in this country and many others anymore, perhaps the same should apply to any endangered critters, if they cannot survive without help they should be left to go extinct, on about Puffins just recently in the news, among a few other bird species that are dying out.

perhaps the same should apply to any endangered critters, if they cannot survive without help they should be left to go extinct, on about Puffins just recently in the news, among a few other bird species that are dying out.

Isn't that because their food source is diminished?

Yes, agree, if there is anything that could still be classed as nature in this country and many others anymore, perhaps the same should apply to any endangered critters, if they cannot survive without help they should be left to go extinct, on about Puffins just recently in the news, among a few other bird species that are dying out.

Shirley... the caveat is that if the endangered critters habitat has been destroyed by anthropogenic activity it is our obligation to redress the problem by providing a suitable habitat?
Restoration ecology for land and sea may appear to some nobheads to be a waste of time and money.... but a species rich environment is essential for the Earths ecosystems... a Holistic view.

( I am not talking about reintroduction of woolly mammoths to Exmoor or reverse engineering DNA for the new Cretaceous Park dinosaurs!)

Yeghes da

Not for all the different species mentioned around the world, and even if it was, does it matter, all part of what happens in nature.

Same thing should apply to humans as well, do away with all kinds of medications so that only the fittest survive.

Yes the Russians have huge vacuum cleaner ships stationed all around UK waters sucking up all the sprats, sand eels, herring and anything else they can turn into fertiliser... I saw* a similar vessel off the Faulklands / S. Georgia vacuuming krill to ferment into Polish Fish Sausage!

* video

No surprise then our sea birds are starving to death!

Yeghes da

Not for all the different species mentioned around the world, and even if it was, does it matter, all part of what happens in nature.

Same thing should apply to humans as well, do away with all kinds of medications so that only the fittest survive.

Woa......I don't think even "Call me Dave" would go down that rout....

Yeghes da

Last edited:
Yes the Russians have huge vacuum cleaner ships stationed all around UK waters sucking up all the sprats, sand eels, herring and anything else they can turn into fertiliser... I saw* a similar vessel off the Faulklands / S. Georgia vacuuming krill to ferment into Polish Fish Sausage!

* video

No surprise then our sea birds are starving to death!

Yeghes da

Not just sea birds starving and not just Russians - there's no quota on sandeels so it's open season - the skywegians had a power station fuelled by sandeels. Not just that - they have bought out most of the Scottish salmon farms, and what are they fed on? fish meal made from sandeels - so the big selling point of the bland fatty tastless salmon sold in supermarkets all over the UK was that it was taking pressure off the natural fish stocks but now, wild salmon and sea trout are in decline because some eejit is hoovering up all their natural food - sandeels - to power generators and feed vegetarian types who think chemical/antibiotic packed tesco salmon is good for the environment and saving fluffy bunnies and baa lambs!!

So...nature is cruel...but, mankind is more cruel. Thats quite an indictment!

All I was saying was that we should breed from the healthiest individuals which seems like common sense to me

Last edited:

I cannot see that bees should be singled out as creatures that are not deserving of treatment for a problem that humans spread around the world in the first place, while all other livestock/pets we keep get treatment for the various viruses/parasites, etc, etc, so also include humans in the list.

I cannot see that bees should be singled out as creatures that are not deserving of treatment for a problem that humans spread around the world in the first place, while all other livestock/pets we keep get treatment for the various viruses/parasites, etc, etc, so also include humans in the list.

Perhaps you're right. I am just curious whether we aren't being a bit short-sighted.
If you think of cows that receive all sorts of medication to keep them in almost continuous production. Then they are turned into meat for our consumption....then people complain about the antibiotics/etc that is in their food. All we seem to do is look at the short term goal

Last edited:
All I was saying was that we should breed from the healthiest individuals which seems like common sense to me

Steady on old chap!....someone with a funny mustache already tried going down that route....

With animal breeding (and bees) we don't even do that, we select the characteristics we are interested in.

:iagree:

I can picture them queueing up outside already - don't think SWMBO would be very amused though :D

Thank you Finman for the original research postings.
I am not sure if the ensuing discussions managed to add anything to the research work!
A scientist can only report the interpretation of his findings and these and his methods are reviewed by his peers.
I fear that many of this forums members may take offence at scientific findings that disagree with their own observations and beliefs.
Scientists can, of course, draw the wrong conclusion or have an un-notice procedural error that leads to a wrong conclusion.
Finman's summaries all are generally pointing in the same direction. Let the boffins sort it out!!!

Perhaps you're right. I am just curious whether we aren't being a bit short-sighted.
If you think of cows that receive all sorts of medication to keep them in almost continuous production. Then they are turned into meat for our consumption....then people complain about the antibiotics/etc that is in their food. All we seem to do is look at the short term goal

I do not know, how much you know about cowkeeping.

My good friend was a milk farmer. Sometimes bacterium concured his herd and he was obliged to kill half of his cattle and buy new cows.

2 years ago cows got 5 dead calf in a row.

His wife said, that when he came to this farm at the age of 17, she had not kept any freeday.

They retired from cowkeeping at the age of 56. That was the long term goal.

Loans, loans and loans.

Hard work.

That was very popular thinking before second world war, about 80 years ago.
You just decide from where you start and then make it stink!

Latest posts

Back