Varroa resistance definition

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbeee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Checked all colony's in the last week, everything made it through the winter, all colony's were treated apigaurd in September and later with 3.2% oxalic acid dribble in early Jan with the average drop of 10 -20 mites in the first 24 hrs. One colony had a massive drop of 300 - 400 mites in 24 hrs which was far more than i was expecting.The colony with the large mite drop is by far the strongest colony now with bias over 7 frames where other colony's are about 3-4. Would this be a colony that would be considered in someway resistant to varroa? I was expecting it to be a weak colony but it is by far the strongest, any thoughts? The colony in question was a single brood all last year and is stronger than all that were double brood??

A resistant colony of bees will keep mite load to a minimum even when it is the largest colony in your apiary. Convert your mite drop to number of mites per 300 bees and the picture will become plainer. A resistant colony drops 1 or 2 mites per 300 bees vs susceptible that usually drop 20 or more.

This is a generalization. Mite load changes during the year with highest in late fall. My colonies tested from 2 to 35 per 300 bees suggesting 3 colonies were very resistant while the others are only partly resistant.

Latest posts

Back