Is this 'normal'?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabyBee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Put a bag of fondant in for my bees in December. Still not finished, though bag full of bees at all times.

However, on quick inspection the other day, i noticed that they are building some nice comb in the middle!

is this normal? and what should i be doing about it?

i watched them for a bit todya and there were certainly lots of flying bees and noticed pollen on legs, so presumably this means the queen is laying ok.

didnt take any honey last year as it was my first year with them.

and advice, thoughts, actions welcomed! thanks

Can you give a bit more info on where you put the bag. On top of the frames or the crownboard? If they are building comb in it I would take it off before they make too much mess.

It's not abnormal, but equally not desirable!

a) make sure you have a QE in place below the fondant, potential for accident when removing too high otherwise
b) if you are happy with regard HM location switch to 1:1 now and before they waste any more effort, the location is clearly not sustainable or planned
c) no more than 0.5 ltr a week as a stimulus
d) check no of frames of brood. 8 or more then you might need to super - jammy sod!

No risk of missing the opportunity to super-up here at the mo. Best wishes from the Arctic Survey mission in North Yorks.

Put a bag of fondant in for my bees in December. Still not finished, though bag full of bees at all times.

However, on quick inspection the other day, i noticed that they are building some nice comb in the middle!

i watched them for a bit todya and there were certainly lots of flying bees and noticed pollen on legs, so presumably this means the queen is laying ok.

you mean a bit like the comb they have built in my tub feeder, YEP perfectly normal bee instinct, build comb if it is a space greater than bee space

Can you give a bit more info on where you put the bag. On top of the frames or the crownboard? If they are building comb in it I would take it off before they make too much mess.

oh sorry, it's on top of the crownboard.

Mine did exactly the same as your Muswell but filled it full with comb in a week and half full of honey!

It's not abnormal, but equally not desirable!

a) make sure you have a QE in place below the fondant, potential for accident when removing too high otherwise
b) if you are happy with regard HM location switch to 1:1 now and before they waste any more effort, the location is clearly not sustainable or planned
c) no more than 0.5 ltr a week as a stimulus
d) check no of frames of brood. 8 or more then you might need to super - jammy sod!

No risk of missing the opportunity to super-up here at the mo. Best wishes from the Arctic Survey mission in North Yorks.

a) i dont have a QE as I had planned to put one on when i do my first proper inspection - hopefully in a couple of weeks. but of course now feeling nervous that she's in the bag too!

b) not sure what you mean by "HM location"?
c) 0.5lt a week - is this 1:1 you are referring to?
d) would so love to be in that position but seriously doubt it for some reason! will keep you posted though.

and how do i get them safely out the bag in the first place? so scared i might lose my Q if she's in there?

I put a package of fondant on some time ago and they seemed very slow in eating it. When I unwrapped it though, they went berserk and ate the lot within hours after weeks of very slow activity.

Chances of a queen in a bag of fondant above the crownboard are pretty slim. Unless of course the rest is bunged with brood.

You need to inspect.

Sent from my ZTE-U V880 using Tapatalk

a) i do**nt have a QE as I had planned to put one on when i do my first proper inspection - hopefully in a couple of weeks. but of course now feeling nervous that she's in the bag too!

b) not sure what you mean by "HM location"?
c) 0.5lt a week - is this 1:1 you are referring to?
d) would so love to be in that position but seriously doubt it for some reason! will keep you posted though.

and how do i get them safely out the bag in the first place? so scared i might lose my Q if she's in there?

HM=Her Majesty= your Queen

0.5lt yes if you want to feed 0.5l or one pint of 1:1 syrup ( i dont but no oil seed rape near me )

On a warm day, lift the roof off for 5 mins, although it's highly unlikely the queen is up there the light exposure will be enough to drive her down. Then gently ease the bag off and leave on the roof when you close down the hive.

HM is twee abbv. for Her Majesty = Queen I prefer Q

0.5 lt is (eurospeak) for ! lb sugar / 1 pt water

PS MuswellM nice pic! they do have a policy of when in doubt, build comb, don't they?

thanks everyone - realy helpful as ever.

pouring with rain today so inspection wont be happening, but will deffo lift lid off next sunny day and do as instructed :)

many many thanks

Both of my colonies built comb up into the fondant containers.

One of them was full of eggs, in spite there there being plenty of room in the bb including undrawn foundation.

The other lot of comb was fairly empty. And the Q was in the box with the fondant.:rolleyes:

That's another lesson learned I guess - put the QX on!

Thanks for the question. I had exactly the same thing happen - spotted it yesterday

Both of my colonies built comb up into the fondant containers.

One of them was full of eggs, in spite there there being plenty of room in the bb including undrawn foundation.

The other lot of comb was fairly empty. And the Q was in the box with the fondant.:rolleyes:

That's another lesson learned I guess - put the QX on!

ah-ha! my fear exactly :( how did oyu safely get the Q out?

ah-ha! my fear exactly :( how did oyu safely get the Q out?

:eek: :eek: :eek::eek:

I'm embarassed to admit I didn't! Because I didn't see she was there - there were soooo many bees in the container.

We put the containier on the ground in front of the hive while we did the inspection and then shook the bees out onto the grass. A few minutes later (after we'd finished closing up) we saw this tight little group of bees huddling on the ground - at which point the penny dropped! I'd got a small plastic tub with me and we brushed the group into it and dropped them back into the top of the bb. The Q and her attendants scuttled down between the frames, and as far as I can tell now - all is well.

If anyone is thinking of giving me a telling off :smash: - I know I deserve it but it's really not necessary - I'm well aware that I've had a lucky escape. :leaving:

And it would have been an opportunity to mark her - but I don't have the kit yet.
I don't expect I'll ever find her again :(

oops! hell thats what i'm scared of doing too :)

so i'm now wondering if maybe i can just lay my almost empty bag of fondant on top of the frames - once i've taken the lid off and let the light in in the hopes HM (!!) will scuttle downstairs if necessary?

then put QE on top and Bob's yer uncle as they say!

would hate for it to go pear shaped after they've made it through this winter!

Yes that's a useful tip, and I won't make the same mistake again.

This learning curve is awfully steep!

Latest posts

Back