Is it worth setting swarm traps?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not just small casts either, my mate had a colony swarm out of their hive and straight into a nuc a mere ten feet or so away. He watched it all happen.

Not just small casts either, my mate had a colony swarm out of their hive and straight into a nuc a mere ten feet or so away. He watched it all happen.

He was very lucky... once watched one of mine swarm into a 20ft oak tree... spent all day catching them!

Jazz fyi, nuc boxes do work however a single Nat brood is closer to the volume that scout bees are looking for. Thats not my opinion but from the research.

If you read Seeley's book they initially preferred a chimney on the islands sole occupants cottage over all the different sized boxes he was testing.
Plus they were Italian Bees ...
Do different strains have different size preferences?
I don't know, but suspect they may....or any cavity in a storm.

Has anyone had any success catching a swarm in a brand new nuc with 5 frames of starter strips and some lemongrass oil?

That's how I got my first bees three years ago, but with a full size brood box not a nuc. Bought it in the autumn, left it out in the garden all winter, and come June, a swarm moved in, plus I was lucky enough to see it arrive and descend on the box. Very thrilling for a newbie. :D

As I used to blow up a brain of some brainiacs here a good while ago, I `m happy to repeat this exercise again :)
Big no no to swarms catching, because :
1) Swarming is genetically determined factor. The clever big scale beekeepers select and rare the queens only from non-swarming hives, thus reducing swarming in their apiaries down to 5% or even less.
As swarms are getting issued by the colonies liable to swarming, you will breed the swarming bees, thus upsetting good beekeepers, who can`t prevent your (swarm liable) drones from getting into their apiaries, jeopardizing their selection work.
2) Who knows what disease have you caught and brought into your apiary with a new swarm.
[FONT=&quot]There are some more factors, but this 2 are just enough for me to avoid swarm catching, unless it`s a swarm from my own apiary and I will requeen this swarm from a non-swarming colony ASAP.
:facts:
[/FONT]

As I used to blow up a brain of some brainiacs here a good while ago, I `m happy to repeat this exercise again :)
Big no no to swarms catching, because :
1) Swarming is genetically determined factor. The clever big scale beekeepers select and rare the queens only from non-swarming hives, thus reducing swarming in their apiaries down to 5% or even less.
As swarms are getting issued by the colonies liable to swarming, you will breed the swarming bees, thus upsetting good beekeepers, who can`t prevent your (swarm liable) drones from getting into their apiaries, jeopardizing their selection work.
2) Who knows what disease have you caught and brought into your apiary with a new swarm.
[FONT=&quot]There are some more factors, but this 2 are just enough for me to avoid swarm catching, unless it`s a swarm from my own apiary and I will requeen this swarm from a non-swarming colony ASAP.
:facts:
[/FONT]

The flaw in your argument is that breeders will use instrumental insemination, rather than open mating, to propagate their breeding material.

"thus upsetting good beekeepers,"
Will those be the good beekeepers who's swarms keep going in my traps, after all mine never swarm..;) Nothing to stop any beek requeening any caught swarm and have even had some quite good queens arrive via swarms. As to disease of course swarms may carry disease. However over a good few years of keeping bees i have never had a swarm bring in any brood disease at all, and only have experience of 1 such case that MAY!!!! have been introduced via that route in an old chaps hives who i used to help.. So yes by all means make people aware of any draw backs but lets not over egg the situation

Last edited:
If you don't catch swarms someone else will or they will find a nice roof cavity thus still upsetting the good beekeeper. I think that argument is a baseless one unless you turn up with your swarm of mongrels and place it on a secluded mating station.
Let's be honest, a lot of beekeepers will have bad stock including me and the good beekeeper who want to improve his/her stock will only rear F1s thus limiting the impact of open mating.

For disease every unknown swarm should be kept away from an apiary until you are sure they have no diseases. I usually wait 2 brood cycle.

Last edited:
I use 7 frames swarm boxes made out of waste 9mm plywood and use 1 old frame and rest is foundation. My lure is made of pure alcohol in which I put dead queens in. I have added 2-3 drops of lemongrass oil. Works a treat, I had 2 prime swarm last year. I will use them to make as many split as possible this year.

I use 7 frames swarm boxes made out of waste 9mm plywood and use 1 old frame and rest is foundation..

there seems a split between those who use an old frame and leave the rest empty space versus those who use frames of foundation

is there a noticeable difference either way do people think?

Sick and diseased hives are highly unlikely to have sufficient bee numbers to swarm in the first place.

there seems a split between those who use an old frame and leave the rest empty space versus those who use frames of foundation

is there a noticeable difference either way do people think?

If you can't get to the swarm box for a few days empty space will mean brace comb all over the box and a nightmare to deal with and transfer. I use strips of foundation rather than full sheet (too tight for that).

That's how I got my first bees three years ago, but with a full size brood box not a nuc. Bought it in the autumn, left it out in the garden all winter, and come June, a swarm moved in, plus I was lucky enough to see it arrive and descend on the box. Very thrilling for a newbie. :D

Wow, that's what I'm dreaming of for my nuc! Hopefully healthy, happy and calm too.

Before the experienced guys jump in, I'll keep dreaming ;)

Jazz fyi, nuc boxes do work however a single Nat brood is closer to the volume that scout bees are looking for. Thats not my opinion but from the research. Pop bait hives into you tube and you will get some ideas

I caught a massive swarm in a poly nuc last year, I had to put an extra 6 frames on top straight away. Caught a cast in the same spot a few weeks later and another cast in a National hive.

You never know your luck!

I caught 3 swarms, all primary, in the same swarm trap which just had 2 wired frames with a thin wax starter strip and lemongrass oil all within 15days..... I couldn't believe that, as I removed one swarm new scouts were coming within hours.

Wow, that's what I'm dreaming of for my nuc! Hopefully healthy, happy and calm too.

Before the experienced guys jump in, I'll keep dreaming ;)

I have two maybe three Queens i will be splatting this year..they are not overly aggressive but well cared for all the same..if you can show me you have a rough idea what you are doing and give me a Nuc with all the frames.. i will fill it for you with nae on no Varroa free bees..or better still spend 40 quid on a mated Queen and i will make you a Nuc up.. personally i can not be arsed in catching unknown swarms as you do not have a clue what you are getting..with bought in mated Queens you have a good idea what you are getting..Pm thee..;).

I have two maybe three Queens i will be splatting this year..they are not overly aggressive but well cared for all the same..if you can show me you have a rough idea what you are doing and give me a Nuc with all the frames.. i will fill it for you with nae on no Varroa free bees..or better still spend 40 quid on a mated Queen and i will make you a Nuc up.. personally i can not be arsed in catching unknown swarms as you do not have a clue what you are getting..with bought in mated Queens you have a good idea what you are getting..Pm thee..;).

Only site I can find queens on is Abelo. Do you know anywhere local to get them?
The main reason I wanted to set out the nuc was so if I did end up catching any I could learn with bees that were only going to go somewhere else anyway (if that makes sense?). I wouldn't regard them as disposable though, and if it started becoming too much for me to handle too soon I'd turn to someone more experienced or the local association.

I do appreciate the offer though. Are you attending any local events? It would be good to have a chat at some point.

Only site I can find queens on is Abelo. Do you know anywhere local to get them?
The main reason I wanted to set out the nuc was so if I did end up catching any I could learn with bees that were only going to go somewhere else anyway (if that makes sense?). I wouldn't regard them as disposable though, and if it started becoming too much for me to handle too soon I'd turn to someone more experienced or the local association.

I do appreciate the offer though. Are you attending any local events? It would be good to have a chat at some point.

Too many pointless Questions to Answer for me..i offered to help you and i will/or Not.. if you PM me.

Latest posts

Back