Is it worth setting swarm traps?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bottom My first and only attempt worked straight off, got a marked Queen as well with the swarm. Set up a decades old Brood Box, 3 frames of undrawn wax and couple of drops of Lemon Grass Oil inside and at the entrance which was re-dropped fortnightly. Hive was located next to my other hives on a hive stand. I have read / heard so many stories of bees setting up residence in old hives and stacks of supers lying about plus compost bins unless you absolutely need to catch a swarm then don't bother placing bait hives at all the specific hives oft quoted.

Oh, the marked queen was not mine either.

bottom My first and only attempt worked straight off, got a marked Queen as well with the swarm. Set up a decades old Brood Box, 3 frames of undrawn wax and couple of drops of Lemon Grass Oil inside and at the entrance which was re-dropped fortnightly. Hive was located next to my other hives on a hive stand. I have read / heard so many stories of bees setting up residence in old hives and stacks of supers lying about plus compost bins unless you absolutely need to catch a swarm then don't bother placing bait hives at all the specific hives oft quoted.

Oh, the marked queen was not mine either.

A lady I help collected a swarm by leaving a pile of very old *and grotty) boxes in her garden with a few brood frames in them. Result - one swarm with marked queen Bad tempered lot with high varroa load.

I use some old broods or knock up ply boxes five frames over five. I think the point with bait hives is to tick as many boxes as possible size/volume, height, size of entrance. Many of us have seen swarms in odd locations and I’ve had a couple in holes in the ground below ground level so who knows....However the more boxes you tick the better the odds. I have found that if your bait hive is in the same apiary then those lures do increase the odds of pulling in your own, it’s generally accepted they prefer to travel a little distance. I do prefer them to get some sun though as it tends to get the wax/lure aromas going and often I can even smell the wax/lure

I use some old broods or knock up ply boxes five frames over five. I think the point with bait hives is to tick as many boxes as possible size/volume, height, size of entrance. Many of us have seen swarms in odd locations and I’ve had a couple in holes in the ground below ground level so who knows....However the more boxes you tick the better the odds. I have found that if your bait hive is in the same apiary then those lures do increase the odds of pulling in your own, it’s generally accepted they prefer to travel a little distance. I do prefer them to get some sun though as it tends to get the wax/lure aromas going and often I can even smell the wax/lure

how important is it to have foundationless frames in all this ....what i have read seems to point that having the void is an appeal to the scout

I don't think its the void but the space. The scouts measure for sure. I have always offered bait hives with comb and foundation with good success rates.

And frankly you don't want a swarm building naturally in an empty box as its a right mess.

PH

I don't think its the void but the space. The scouts measure for sure. I have always offered bait hives with comb and foundation with good success rates.

And frankly you don't want a swarm building naturally in an empty box as its a right mess.

PH

Thanks for the info ... yeah agreed my plan would be to keep eagle eyes on the bait hive anyway so they should not be there too long (God willing!)

Hi it’s obvoiusly not essential for a totally open void as many will have had bees going into old boxes or bait hives with frames. However this year I am trying a single old shallow with real black comb and then 4 other deeps with 2” starter strips, these are in 10 frame boxes 5 over 5. The starter strips should limit!!!!any random comb/mess. In fairness all the open void info I have seen is USA based and it’s the first year I will try it.. as with a lot of beekeeping nothing is set in stone and you are open to nature’s variables, but do what you can and try and cover the basics

Has anyone had any success catching a swarm in a brand new nuc with 5 frames of starter strips and some lemongrass oil?

That might work but the chances are higher with at least one older comb if you can get one.

I was going to spend the afternoon stripping down old combs but it's tipping it down so its feet up and pet the dogs time. :)

It should be said of course that swarms can be from pretty poor stock in the first place and whilst a cheap way of getting started there are risks of bad temper and or disease or worse both.

PH

It should be said of course that swarms can be from pretty poor stock in the first place and whilst a cheap way of getting started there are risks of bad temper and or disease or worse both.

PH

Yeah for my side its just insurance at my own site .. but my plan would be to immediately dust off the gas-vap as that is the best time to do it right ?

Correct as they are broodless 1 shot should do it any time before you have sealed brood

Yes agreed dont want to p.... them off to soon and if theres open brood they wont go out the door

That might work but the chances are higher with at least one older comb if you can get one.

I was going to spend the afternoon stripping down old combs but it's tipping it down so its feet up and pet the dogs time. :)

PH

Thanks PH I'll set my new nuc up when the weather gets better. Steve kindly offered some old comb too so I'll add that when I get it, if I don't catch any by then.

What, other than honeybees, can one expect to unintentionally attract with a nuc box, 5 frames of foundation and some lemongrass oil?

Jazz fyi, nuc boxes do work however a single Nat brood is closer to the volume that scout bees are looking for. Thats not my opinion but from the research. Pop bait hives into you tube and you will get some ideas

Wasps, badgers, rodents and the like.....
:)

Smashing :laughing-smiley-014
I'll stick it up a height, so hopefully just wasps and rodents :(

Jazz fyi, nuc boxes do work however a single Nat brood is closer to the volume that scout bees are looking for. Thats not my opinion but from the research. Pop bait hives into you tube and you will get some ideas

Thanks for the pointer mate. I only bought the nuc box since it was so cheap (£25) and I got the frames cheap too. I'm not banking on catching them but I fancied sticking a box out to see if I can get some free bees. I'm not too fussed either way but I'm finding it all educational :)

Nothing is set in stone, you'd be surprised how many swarms find nucs very attractive.

Yes agreed and certainly smaller casts, I was just pointing him in the right direction and going on accepted info

Latest posts

Back