Intermediate Science Exam Questions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoutBees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Does anyone have an answer to the following science questions? -

How would you deal with two colonies, one that has been confirmed to have Acarine, and one confirmed to have Nosema in April?

Sketch the life cycle of the honey bee and show how it forms the basis of the nine/ten day inspection interval as a basis of swarm control.

Thanks for any help given. :sos:

Does anyone have an answer to the following science questions? -

How would you deal with two colonies, one that has been confirmed to have Acarine, and one confirmed to have Nosema in April?

Sketch the life cycle of the honey bee and show how it forms the basis of the nine/ten day inspection interval as a basis of swarm control.

Thanks for any help given. :sos:
I guess the life cycle question refers to the fact that it takes 8-9 days for the queen cup to be sealed - and the sealing of the cup is what starts the initiation of swarm mode (or something like that). So if you inspect often enough you will always be able to intervene as a queen cup is capped and perform an artificial swarm.

That would be my guess anyhow - that said, I've still yet to get my first colony of bees so I might be talking pap :)

The 9/10 day inspection interval requires the queen to be clipped. It is possible for the bees to convert a 3 day old larvae (ie 6 days after egg laid) into a queen larvae and have the cell sealed in another 3 days with the swarm leaving with the old queen on that day. If however the queen is clipped then swarm can't really leave until 1st virgin emerges which would be a week after the cell is sealed (3 + 7 = 10).

April Nosema requires description of Bailey comb change.

Acarine no authroised treatment available apart from requeening from resistant strain (although Thymol based Varroa treatments are supposed to be effective

What books are you using , the answer to the life cycle is at the back of the yeats notes Colony inspection ( timing)
page 270 in the new version chapters 1,2,3
To be read in conjunction with section 1.16.4

Noseama , bailey frame change or shook swarm

There is no approved treatment for Acarine , however there is greatly reduced number of cases of it since Bayvarol & Apiguard have been used as Apiguard has wiped a lot of it out.

Nosema does affect in summer.

Approved or not but formic acid affects on acarine.

Hi Finman
He is doing the FIBKA exams which are the Irish exams , if he gave that answer I cannot see him passing . You can only use what is approved in the answers here

Latest posts

Back