Intensity of bee venom

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the composition of bee venom vary between colonies which then result in a large range of reactions?

Following a bad reaction to a sting from a specific colony in our garden, we moved our hives to a farm. My husband was also stung several times on his hands from the same colony and experienced a lot of intense itching and swelling (unusual for him). He was stung again from a different colony at the weekend and barely reacted at all.

All the bees are descended from the same queen and have mated locally. However the bad reactions occurred from DLW.
I had to be de-sentized which is a two year course. i now where a Sherriff BeePro suit, nothinng stings through that but it is hot to work in. i use tradecraft garden gloves the blue ones, again very rare to get any sort of sting through them.

Reactions: CLB
I had to be de-sentized which is a two year course. i now where a Sherriff BeePro suit, nothinng stings through that but it is hot to work in. i use tradecraft garden gloves the blue ones, again very rare to get any sort of sting through them.

That's good to hear you were given desensitisation treatment. How have you been since the main treatment completion? Or have you escaped being stung?
I have the sentinel pro gloves by Old Castle Farm Hives but still double up with disposables as I've not started my treatment yet.

That's good to hear you were given desensitisation treatment. How have you been since the main treatment completion? Or have you escaped being stung?
I have the sentinel pro gloves by Old Castle Farm Hives but still double up with disposables as I've not started my treatment yet.
not been back since, yes get stung most years a few times, but try to be careful

Although painful I don't seem to react as bad as my husband. Had to call the doctors last sting as he exposed an ankle, his fault, lesson learned. Doctor just said continue with piriton,I was a bit worried as the swelling started to creep up his leg. I on the other hand was ironing last night and out of the blue I had this horrendous stabbing pain at the base of my thumbnail, a bee had got into the washing on the line and I paid the price, didn't think, I should have shook the clothes before bringing in, another lesson learned

Although painful I don't seem to react as bad as my husband. Had to call the doctors last sting as he exposed an ankle, his fault, lesson learned. Doctor just said continue with piriton,I was a bit worried as the swelling started to creep up his leg. I on the other hand was ironing last night and out of the blue I had this horrendous stabbing pain at the base of my thumbnail, a bee had got into the washing on the line and I paid the price, didn't think, I should have shook the clothes before bringing in, another lesson learned
That’ll teach you to iron! 😉

Following my experiences with the bees in our garden and my subsequent reactions to venom, we moved them to a farm. It was a sad day and we really miss having them in the garden - it is SO quiet without them.

However a few weeks on and the bees have settled at their new address and are happily foraging and even providing us with some honey. My thoughts on keeping bees in a garden have really changed. I think they have very much more natural forage available where they are now, it's almost as though we have set them free to fly. They no longer have to fly vertically to gain height over hedges and negotiate obstacles such as runner bean poles in their flight path. We have the garden back to cultivate flowers and veg and I can go back to doing this in sandals without being hostage to crawlers stinging my feet. My laundry is once again largely clear of bee poo! Our plum tree might also thank us as it won't have to bear so many plums next year (this year it is laden with tiny fruit as a result of having the bees close by)

Our experiment to keep bees in our 90 foot garden has not exactly failed, but seems to have achieved better outcomes being moved elsewhere, which we would not have entertained at the outset. We would not have missed the experience of closely watching the bees for anything, however there are so many unforeseen considerations to evaluate for anyone thinking a garden apiary.

Following my experiences with the bees in our garden and my subsequent reactions to venom, we moved them to a farm. It was a sad day and we really miss having them in the garden - it is SO quiet without them.

However a few weeks on and the bees have settled at their new address and are happily foraging and even providing us with some honey. My thoughts on keeping bees in a garden have really changed. I think they have very much more natural forage available where they are now, it's almost as though we have set them free to fly. They no longer have to fly vertically to gain height over hedges and negotiate obstacles such as runner bean poles in their flight path. We have the garden back to cultivate flowers and veg and I can go back to doing this in sandals without being hostage to crawlers stinging my feet. My laundry is once again largely clear of bee poo! Our plum tree might also thank us as it won't have to bear so many plums next year (this year it is laden with tiny fruit as a result of having the bees close by)

Our experiment to keep bees in our 90 foot garden has not exactly failed, but seems to have achieved better outcomes being moved elsewhere, which we would not have entertained at the outset. We would not have missed the experience of closely watching the bees for anything, however there are so many unforeseen considerations to evaluate for anyone thinking a garden apiary.
Slightly different circumstances, my garden bees kept attacking the family dog. I moved them out and now I prefer not having the hives in the garden.

Slightly different circumstances, my garden bees kept attacking the family dog. I moved them out and now I prefer not having the hives in the garden.
At the moment no issues with the four hives at the bottom of the garden would have to think again if our neighbours started having problems

Latest posts

Back