Insurance.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjosephd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Association fees coming round again.

Is it possible to get adequate and reasonably priced insurance as hobby beekeeper (<10 hives/nucs) for public liability and bee disease type cover without having to join the bbka?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is it possible to get adequate and reasonably priced insurance as hobby beekeeper (<10 hives/nucs) for public liability and bee disease type cover without having to join the bbka?

Yes....come and join Lampeter beeks and become a welsh beek

NFU Mutual have a policy that covers smallholders etc
Have had a specific beekeeing policy attached to Market Traders and Producers cover for some years now, even when we had less than 10 colonies.

Yeghes da

Cool, all interesting thanks!

Interesting that there does seem to be a handful of indi associations out there.

I can see a few reasons for splitting from bbka and it's fusty offshoots but what tend to be the principle reasons the people and associations go rogue ?

The only insurance i have ever paid is car insurance because i have too and it kills me, but i have already been caught once without it so i have to pay these days to keep my premium down even though it keeps going up and up, frig them insurance companies it is legal robbery.

The only insurance i have ever paid is car insurance because i have too and it kills me, but i have already been caught once without it so i have to pay these days to keep my premium down even though it keeps going up and up, frig them insurance companies it is legal robbery.

Having a box of bees in the boot of the car certainly makes me drive incredibly carefully! Maybe rather than a black box in your car insurers should just give you a box of bees to drive around.

The 3 things that make me drive incredibly carefully are a box of bees, bottles of homemade cider with sediment (if I plan to drink them on arrival), and recently driving my girlfriend and I around the evening after a night and day of HORRIFIC food poisoning.

Having a box of bees in the boot of the car certainly makes me drive incredibly carefully! Maybe rather than a black box in your car insurers should just give you a box of bees to drive around.

The 3 things that make me drive incredibly carefully are a box of bees, bottles of homemade cider with sediment (if I plan to drink them on arrival), and recently driving my girlfriend and I around the evening after a night and day of HORRIFIC food poisoning.
You are not wrong there lol, i was reduced to a pensioner with cataracts when i had to move these bees on a 2hr drive, next time i think i will get a sign for the back of my car stating ( bees in transit please be patient) because i surelly had some serious tail gating behind me..

You are not wrong there lol, i was reduced to a pensioner with cataracts when i had to move these bees on a 2hr drive, next time i think i will get a sign for the back of my car stating ( bees in transit please be patient) because i surelly had some serious tail gating behind me..

Do it, they will hang right back.

I have a caution bees in transit sign and put front back and side windows every time I move bees, its so funny when u see a car come up really close to the back of ur car and then drop back when they have read the sign.

I have had more valuable help from this forum than I have from the BBKA I reckon... and I have donated in the past as I really value the breadth and spectrum of opinions and help I can find on here... and also the swiftness with which one's queries get answered/engaged with.

Maybe contributing to this forum could come with a BDI and 3rd party insurance add on? bee-smillie

Having a box of bees in the boot of the car certainly makes me drive incredibly carefully! .

Wouldn't have them in the boot, especially on a hot day, could be deadly!

?
What are you on about?
What requires the patience of other road users, are you teaching the bees to drive????
:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

As responsible Beekeeper you should have packed the bees so their journey was, (as much as you could affect) without stress. Including lengthening the time they're subjected to incapable driving! :nono:

As a responsible driver you should secure all loads safely.
Anyone disabled with cataracts would be breaking the law if driving on the road. Similarly, if you fail to secure your load you endanger other road users.
Endangering others would include the obligatory inept driving necessitated by incompetent securement of the said load in the first place!
:banghead:

Set the floor so the frames are "cold way" then close the entrance with a large piece of foam that protrudes into the base of the hive contacting the base of all the frames to damped any swinging. Place the hive into the car so that it is against something strong enough to stop it moving forward under heavy breaking, Frames in line with the direction of travel, entrance to the front. Then strap down to ensure it does not move. SIMPLE!

Last edited:
Wouldn't have them in the boot, especially on a hot day, could be deadly!

?
What are you on about?
What requires the patience of other road users
, are you teaching the bees to drive????
:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

As responsible Beekeeper you should have packed the bees so their journey was, (as much as you could affect) without stress. Including lengthening the time they're subjected to incapable driving! :nono:

As a responsible driver you should secure all loads safely.
Anyone disabled with cataracts would be breaking the law if driving on the road. Similarly, if you fail to secure your load you endanger other road users.
Endangering others would include the obligatory inept driving necessitated by incompetent securement of the said load in the first place!

Set the floor so the frames are "cold way" then close the entrance with a large piece of foam that protrudes into the base of the hive contacting the base of all the frames to damped any swinging. Place the hive into the car so that it is against something strong enough to stop it moving forward under heavy breaking, Frames in line with the direction of travel, entrance to the front. Then strap down to ensure it does not move. SIMPLE!
What are you on about.
So you think it is ok to go rallying around winding country lanes doing the national speed limit with hives in the back of the car..

I have had more valuable help from this forum than I have from the BBKA I reckon... and I have donated in the past as I really value the breadth and spectrum of opinions and help I can find on here... and also the swiftness with which one's queries get answered/engaged with.

Maybe contributing to this forum could come with a BDI and 3rd party insurance add on? bee-smillie
I will 100% second that bit, if it was not for the helpful willing to help with advice good members of the forum i would probably be still stuck in the same rut.

What are you on about.
So you think it is ok to go rallying around winding country lanes doing the national speed limit with hives in the back of the car..

Rallying, No.

But driving so as to delay vehicles behind merely because I had been negligent in securing my load properly? Not at all!

Oh and just so you know, the "National speed limit" doesn't apply on country roads in Warwickshire. It's 50MPH Max!

Rallying, No.

But driving so as to delay vehicles behind merely because I had been negligent in securing my load properly? Not at all!

Oh and just so you know, the "National speed limit" doesn't apply on country roads in Warwickshire. It's 50MPH Max!
Based Nugget goodbye i will not waste my skin replying to your utter dog shat.

ITLD was talking about a policy as a stand alone from the BFA but then it seemed to die a death?

PH

Latest posts

Back