If my bees are getting through their fondant...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaBaileyBees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
....is it because their stores are already severely depleted, or will they just consume fondant when it's available even if though they have plenty of conventional stores left?

Thank you.

Being sensible they take the fondant whether they have stores or not or so I find, and it is not an issue in Spring as you can either:

Remove the full frames, store and use later for nucs or...whatever.

Or use your hive tool to bruise them and the bees will rapidly consume them and they get laid up.

PH

I always found that they will mainly use fondant first instead of stores as it is sitting just above their head. I try now not to give them fondant too early and make them use up most of their stores to give the queen plenty of space for when she needs to start expanding in the spring. So heft your hive to check the weight before you start loading the fondant on to them.

I always found that they will mainly use fondant first instead of stores as it is sitting just above their head. I try now not to give them fondant too early and make them use up most of their stores to give the queen plenty of space for when she needs to start expanding in the spring. So heft your hive to check the weight before you start loading the fondant on to them.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

They go for fondant first in my experience... If following PH's advice, do remove the full frames in spring, otherwise you're going to be cramping HM for laying space... early swarms etc.

Furthermore, it is a waste of money to be feeding unneccessarily. I would learn to heft asap.

Ben P

During the warm autumn spell we had, I became concerned that they were consuming stores and not replacing. I put fondant on v.early in the season which they were consuming.

I did the rounds with Hive Clean and that gave me opportunity to gauge stores. All colonies were consuming fondant. However not all were light on stores.Make of that what you will.
A Merry Christmas to all

Dave

Is White iceing ready to roll that you can buy in the shops, the same as fondant ?

No, it's full of additives and preservatives. You want bakers fondant see thread here

Bobster

No, it's full of additives and preservatives. You want bakers fondant see thread here

Bobster

You can make your own as, if you need any at all you'll only need a little not 12.5kg. Now where did I put the recipe...
More importantly how heavy is that hive as you were doing so well on the HB?

As always no one hive is the same. I placed 2.5 kgs of fondant on each about one month ago with one barely touched and the other about 1/4 eaten. Each time I lift the bag to see if they are feeding there are always a few gnawing away but obviously not many.

Bees working their way through the fondant is a pretty good indicator that they are not dead, so cheer up
:rofl:

I went in today and after a month of having two batches of fondant and a couple of bags of sugar (to keep moisture out of the hive) they have gone for the softer batch and not touched anything else. It was like the bees were in slow motion but all seemed to be working together to pull the stuff down in the hive.

You can make your own as, if you need any at all you'll only need a little not 12.5kg. Now where did I put the recipe...
More importantly how heavy is that hive as you were doing so well on the HB?
I lifted the hive today and it was very heavy just about lifted it, it's probably the wood I've used that weighs so heavy. I had a look inside looks like I have 4 to 5 frames some were fanning on the top. I will test the weight again next week, they were very busy again today lots going out also taking dead out they don't seem to be bringing anything back though

Back