I have Wasps help!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anybody would suggest not interfering with a nest posing a serious threat at maturity especially Karol. Just make sure it's dealt with at night when all the wasps are at home.

Hi kazmcc - it sounds just like one of few occasions referred to - but you don't need to justify it to me.

I just get completely bewildered by the readiness of some beekeepers to slaughter anything - including bees, sometimes!!

If beekeepers are so far removed from a "cycle of life", what hope for the general population - who we find so misguided and ridiculous for confusing a bee and a wasp!!

I have a real fear of them, terrified to be honest, but the more I've read Karols posts, the more I find that I agree, they should be left alone if possible. They haven't caused any problems until now, I am actually shocked they are there considering I haven't seen a single one until the other day.

Good input everyone. Very interesting views many are! I have been over and added traps and sponge barriers to reduce entrance size. Did not see any wasps today though. Also removed my first full super of honey. Excited am i yes..
Oh and i realise that wasps are actually useful also, but as a farmers market trader making and selling Charcuterie i know what a nuisance they can be as the year advances. Usually fruit first followed by meat as they try and survive

Hi beepig,
I had wasp problems last year but got through it.
Tip for you. Take a little pane of glass out of a picture frame. Use duct tape to secure top & bottom . Reduce entrance with some sponge as others have advised. Other thing I will say is DO NOT squish and kill any wasps down around your hives, they will emit an alarm pheromone that will attract more wasps.
Don't open your hives while wasps lurking around.
This is a photo from last year, worked a treat
e9u8asar.jpg

Haven't had any problems this year to date but I do keep a close eye on my hives & now have five to watch.
Hope all works out.
Regards
Sharon

I used to have problems with wasps a few years ago with standard floors at my out apiary and had to narrow down the entrance just when HB was coming into flower, which felt a bit counter initiative. I then saw "Darlington floors" ( see the DIY section) which was a revaluation, and whist I have wasps around the hives, they never actually get in, as they are rebuffed by gaurd bees at the entrance. So there you have it, you either embark on wasp culling or invest in dartington floors

Latest posts

Back