Wasp attack

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasp trap is a good way to help! I once saw one of my bees attacking the trap as it saw the wasps inside. I agree with most - although wasps do have a place in the eco-system, near my bees (or my plum tree) is no good to me! I have 3 traps out now and one is doing particularly well.

Update for anyone interested...

Sun came out for an hour or so today so took a quick look at relocated Nuc. No wasps seen but plenty bees flying around the entrance. Note "Enrico's" entrance has been extended to form a tube as I noticed wasps had earlier (in old location) been flying around the nuc close to the walls and so finding the entrance easily. I'm hoping they will not find the tube entrance as easily and may not be so keen to enter anyway?
Paper unite back with old colony on Monday if weather permits, checking for any late QC's or even Q's as I go.
Wish me luck
K ;)
20230804_153429.jpg

Wasp guards fitted this morning as wasps showing interest and supers are all off . Bit of disturbance initially but waited about 20mins and they were finding the ends of the electric cable ducting no problem. I like these as it's easy to pull off the front to check the entrances are all clear through the winter and then snap them back on. They work well for me and also dispense with mice guards too. I paid about £4 for 3.4 metres in a DIY shop in Helmsley North Yorkshire last week when on holiday, for a slightly smaller ducting and non self adhesive so a couple of screws to fix. They are 30cm long. Second year I have used them,

Attachments

• IMG_1931.jpg
    IMG_1931.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
I always think there's a missing instruction with these types of guards. If a wasp or two find their way in and out then they leave a trace of honey which can be an attractant for other wasps. Easily solved of course by removing the front cover and quick wipe with a cold damp cloth.

I bought one of those electrical plastic trunking.

As I was having wasp trouble with one hive particularly, I cut a piece and slid it in the front entrance, so it reached back to the 3rd or 4th frame.

Intended later to make the slidey version at the front, but this one seemed to work well. So I made the same for 3 other hives too.

I have been observing the entrances at various times over the last week. Noticed the odd wasp getting in, but maybe 30-60 seconds later, a worker comes out carrying the intruder, and dumping the wasp out the door.

I always think there's a missing instruction with these types of guards. If a wasp or two find their way in and out then they leave a trace of honey which can be an attractant for other wasps. Easily solved of course by removing the front cover and quick wipe with a cold damp cloth.
Not honey but cuticular peptides. Same principle. Being plastic they wipe away but on wood not so easy. Can be inactivated using akaline solution e.g. dissolved soda crystals followed by water rinse.

Last post by me on this thread as my wasp problem has passed - for now...

Newspaper unite went well this morning with no QC's or VQ found.
Red spotted mated Q from BM. Running around looking happy but no eggs yet - still a bit early...
Not much stores in either hive so added feeder with 1:1syrup above top Q+ box.
Will check again around 16/17th and probably consolidate to one box then if all looks good
Fingers still crossed
K ;)

As an example of my thought process :-
"The first Rule with Health & Safety is to remove the hazard.!
Only if you are unable to remove or make safe the hazard do you resort to other "protective measures
".

I think that same rule applies in this instance with your bees.
If the wasp nest (let's call it the the hazard) is removed you should not need to attempt other drastic actions to protect the Nuc (your persons at risk).

Although wasps have a place on the eco system and can be very beneficial in the garden, if there are too many of them and they are causing damage, they most definitely need culling.

I'm with Mr Wilco on this. Find that wasp's nest - there may be more than one.
Wait til dark and destroy it/them.
Your bees will be able to get on with surviving without being continually robbed.

Malcolm B.
I exterminated two nests: I drowned one in an old rodent burrow by pouring in copious amounts of water.
The second was in my cavity wall vent. I bought some foam from Wick’s- it was useless. I then puffed ant powder on the vent and this worked immediately. Next day Zero wasps.

I always use ant powder to destroy wasp nests. It's not expensive, works fast, and the returning wasps end up carrying it deep in to the nest.

Latest posts

Back