How should I store frames over the winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonorchard

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just wondered what the best advice is for storing drawn (empty) frames over the winter. Is it ok to leave them in a empty hive on site with the entrance closed?

And what is the product of choice for keeping wax moths at bay and any other nasties that might take a shine to them whilst there are no bees around?

Many thanks in advance
Simon

Depends very much on how many supers of frames you need to store.

For up to 10 frames beg, borrow or steal some space in a freezer.

If it is just 3 or 4 boxes the easiest is to put each super into a bin liner, tape up the opening and stack with a crown board top AND bottom. If they have been empty for a while it is a good idea to freeze for 24 hours to kill any eggs or larvae, otherwise you may be sealing the wax moth IN rather than keeping it out.:willy_nilly:

For 5 boxes or more I stack them on a crown board, tape all the joints put an empty brood box on top and burn 2 sulphur strips (burner and strips available from the usual sources) Roof on quickly after lighting the strips and do not breath the fumes.

Leaving them on an empty hive, even with the entrance closed is a non starter the wax moth will get in and destroy the lot.

"Leaving them on an empty hive, even with the entrance closed is a non starter the wax moth will get in and destroy the lot".

Not necessarily; if the hive is good and everything fits you should be OK. You do need to be absolutley sure that nothing can get in of course. Sulphur strips will destroy wax moth. As will 80% acetic acid which also destroys nosema. Both treatments are a bit nasty so check on precautions first. Last year it was so cold before I got round to treating I didn't need to!

I don't like the idea of plastic bags as things might sweat/get mouldy inside.

If I put anything in the freezer I would be sure that comb would be damaged by a frozen chicken or something going into the side.

Bear in mind that you not only have to make them wax moth proof. The frames can also come with a reserve of wax moth eggs ready to hatch.

Thanks for the advice. So when are the wax months alive and kicking? Are they only around from Spring to Autumn?

So when are the wax months alive and kicking? Are they only around from Spring to Autumn?

No. Anytime, if warm enough. Frames stacked outside last year would not have needed much attention as it was far too cold for the larvae for long stretches. Should you store your frames in a cosy garage per eg, or the winter is particularly mild, it may be a different story....

RAB

"If I put anything in the freezer I would be sure that comb would be damaged by a frozen chicken or something going into the side.

OH NO! Not another new pest to worry about! :svengo:

KEEP IT SIMPLE.

put them in an empty hive or make up a stack of spare boxes. Put them on an open mesh floor with inspection board in place, block the entrance and put the roof on with no insulation.
Now here is the genius bit, when you are suffering from hive inspection withdrawal symptoms choose a freezing cold morning and go and inspect the stored frames and inspection board (no veil required). It is also a good excuse to escape Christmas tv relatives, turkey, or the other half who did not get the pressy they wanted (assuming they have not already left you as "you care more about those f^^^*%g bees than me")

KEEP IT SIMPLE.

put them in an empty hive or make up a stack of spare boxes.
Now here is the genius bit, when you are suffering from hive inspection withdrawal symptoms choose a freezing cold morning and go and inspect the stored frames and inspection board (no veil required).

ha ha ha, absolutely love it!!!!

Latest posts

Back