What would you do? Moth Ball residue

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeman

New Bee
Reaction score
I've recently acquired a number of supers, full of beautifully drawn out frames. I have discovered they have been 'overwintered'/stored with a mothball in each super (and each separated by cardboard) - around 2/3 years old, but looking very clean.

There is a noticeable smell from the frames and supers but I don't know what type of moth balls have been used, other than that they are white and spherical.

Would you use the supers and frames for honey production?

I see four potential options:
1) Burn the supers, and frames.
2) Burn the frames, use the supers.
3) Air out the supers and frames over this winter, and reuse next year if the smell has gone.
4) Use them as they are.

Thanks in advanced.

Personally any frames/drawn or not I would burn , whether one knows the true provenence or not isn't worth the risk at all.
The supers can be bleached ,rinsed and if you wish scorched.
Tainting honey you don't want and any wax will be tainted.

never use 'second hand' drawn comb unless you are 100% certain of its provenance.
Personally I would chuck the lot on the bonfire.
Leave the boxes out over winter and torch in the spring.
Mothballs! whatever next?

I've recently acquired a number of supers, full of beautifully drawn out frames. I have discovered they have been 'overwintered'/stored with a mothball in each super (and each separated by cardboard) - around 2/3 years old, but looking very clean.

There is a noticeable smell from the frames and supers but I don't know what type of moth balls have been used, other than that they are white and spherical.

Would you use the supers and frames for honey production?

I see four potential options:
1) Burn the supers, and frames.
2) Burn the frames, use the supers.
3) Air out the supers and frames over this winter, and reuse next year if the smell has gone.
4) Use them as they are.

Thanks in advanced.
Personally I'd go for option 3 purely to allow time to reduce the risk of tainting any honey. You're not going to be needing supers until next spring/summer. If the smell remains they can have another year airing out

You'd have to assume (in the absence of other information) that PDB was used in which case you definitely don't want it turning up in your honey.

EFB,AFB , disease spores , it just isn't worth the risk let alone the moth ball chems.

Personally I'd go for option 3 purely to allow time to reduce the risk of tainting any honey. You're not going to be needing supers until next spring/summer. If the smell remains they can have another year airing out
Just rereading and realised the equipment was acquired so probably not from your own source. On that reconsidered basis I'll agree with those advising a bonfire.🔥🔥

Latest posts

Back