How long should veils last?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popparand

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Bought a new suit last year and the veil has split in a number of places. The bees found out before I did (ouch). How long is a veil supposed to last? Should they be replaced every year?

Bought a new suit last year and the veil has split in a number of places. The bees found out before I did (ouch). How long is a veil supposed to last? Should they be replaced every year?

Really depends on the suit you bought and how its used. I have a BBwear suit which is now 3 years old and although I have lost the toggle for one zip its still very good. Previous suit was also a BBwear one, the veil lasted 2months as I flashed my smoker too close and a couple of sparks burnt holes in it!
A friend has a cheap eBay suit and that lasted (just) a year before the veil started fail.
S

Would expect many years of wear. My main suit is some 15 years young and the veil is still perfect except for one small patch added after i burnt the veil on my smoker.

Suggest that you contact the supplier and ask for a replacement foc.

Would expect many years of wear. My main suit is some 15 years young and the veil is still perfect except for one small patch added after i burnt the veil on my smoker.

Suggest that you contact the supplier and ask for a replacement foc.

:iagree:

It's possible to cover holes/splits with duct tape (or similar) inside and out and providing the tape is not in your main field of view it'll keep the bees out.

Snagging the hood on brambles is what's put the holes in mine.

My £35 ebay suit had a veil which lasted 6 years. It was kept going with superglue,black cotton thread and black gaffer tape..I reveiled it at a cost of £35 (!) and it is still in use as a backup (zips are YKK and original)

I've learnt the hard way!

cheap suit to begin with, lasted one season before the veil split resulting in multiple stings to chest, face and head.
stupidly bought another from the same supplier which lasted less than a few months before that too fell apart.
bought one from Maisemore which was more expensive and better quality but with the veil material being very similar that too ended up splitting in the second year which the bees noticed before I did!
I have now got a BJ Sheriff Apiarist suit which was no more expensive than the purchase price of the last three combined but should last fifteen years.
I now feel totally at ease and confident when working through the hives, wish I hadn't been such a tight wad in the first place!

My first suit had a straw hat and a hard square veil. Lasted 25 years. The elastic went first that held t to the hat. My second is a BB sherrif. Had it five years or so now with no significant wear. Don't put the veil in the washing machine though!
E

I have now got a BJ Sheriff Apiarist suit which was no more expensive than the purchase price of the last three combined but should last fifteen years.

Got one of those as my first suit. Nice fit and colour (green so isn't as obvious as white), but veil broke down in a couple of years. Got some mesh from SimonTheBeekeeper, but not yet fitted as use a Mann Lake mesh suit now - much cooler although heavier.

Latest posts

Back