Later Than Planned Queen Introduction?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's a fairly fluid thing.... more than 10, less than 15
Hi all. I have a new queen arriving this morning to make up a nuc but the weather here is chilly to say the least (max 11 degrees today, currently only 8). How long can I keep the queen in her cage and not perform the split? I'm thinking that it's too cold to be shaking bees into boxes but is it ok at this temperature as long as I don't faff about?
If I don't do this today I assume I should keep her warm (how warm?) and somewhere quiet until I can do this. I will make sure she gets a few drips of water also.
It's not ideal but it looks like it will be Sunday or possibly Saturday afternoon if i'm back from the auction in time.... and again, weather permitting.
Advice welcome (as wasn't expecting it to be this chilly when I ordered her!)

I keep my queens in the envelope they arrived in, in the shed at whatever temperature it is at the time, 8-10°C (shed is brick built, always in the shade and cool) sometimes for days depending on when I can get to the desired apiary. I'd just crack on and do it unless it was pouring with rain.
Sunday would be fine though

I keep my queens in the envelope they arrived in, in the shed at whatever temperature it is at the time, 8-10°C (shed is brick built, always in the shade and cool) sometimes for days depending on when I can get to the desired apiary. I'd just crack on and do it unless it was pouring with rain.
Sunday would be fine though
I’d crack on the too. I had to do a split today after finding a queen under the mash floor. it was cool but with a bit of sun and no wind the bees we fine.

I did one just before this cold spell. She hadn't started laying a couple of days ago but I have had to feed them.

Latest posts

Back