New laying queen in a congested hive. What might happen next?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is still a bit theoretical but . . . . .

Nuc'ed a couple of queens on 20th May, later reduced EQCs to one and checked back that it emerged OK. Hoping that with this good weather they both get mated.

The issue is that the 4-5 supers are likely to be rammed with honey by the time the new queen starts laying. I don't have any more super frames and I'm taking the risk that they can't go anywhere without a laying queen. So they keep filling the supers. Don't want to disturb her so unlikely to get to clearing supers until next week.

Are they likely to swarm as soon as they get a new laying queen in a congested hive?

, , , , Ben

likely to swarm as soon as they get a new laying queen in a congested hive?
No. I've quite a few like that - vertical splits & ASs yet to sort - with bees hanging out and in need of empty space, but the pheromone is so strong that they won't go.

Thanks. I'm a worrier.

With the bramble and lime starting to flower I imagine the super frames will have one bee space between them by the time I get to take them off. Think I'll have to clear them down into an empty super box, no frames, until I can get them extracted and back onto the hives.

don't have an extractor to extract the frames.
As Hemo said, tangential screens will do the job. Extract one side 50%, then the other 100%, then reverse and finish the first side. You may need to spread that further, depending on the weight of honey.

Quite a few suppliers out there, depending on your make of extractor.

Needn't have worried. They don't seem to have found much nectar and the population may have dropped. Maybe I missed a cell and a cast has left. Loads of space.
The new queen has given them an egg in a cup, just in case. No QCs.
Laying 26 days since I nuc'ed the queen.
( but there's capped drone cells which is very odd. Shouldn't be possible. No clue. Laying workers? ??)

DSCF20230616-02.jpg

DSCF20230616-04.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back