Found a new Queen!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 8 years ago we had an unseasonably warm January and several swarms were found in January and March in North London.

That combination of mild winter and very early spring is rare, but it does emphasise the need for beekeepers to be in sync with the seasons and avoid going by the book.
We had a week of mid 60's, I waited. For the second day of 66° and sunny with no wind. I was quick and did my check and got out. My bees have been bringing in pollen all winter so I made the executive decision to open 'er up and do a check considering I did have a horrible case of varroa in the fall. I don't regret my decision, I do appreciate all the different advice tho!

We had a week of mid 60's, I waited. For the second day of 66° and sunny with no wind. I was quick and did my check and got out. My bees have been bringing in pollen all winter so I made the executive decision to open 'er up and do a check considering I did have a horrible case of varroa in the fall. I don't regret my decision, I do appreciate all the different advice tho!

Totally different continent and part of the world, Northern CA weather miles a part from UK so one can't give real advice. 66c to us would be summer weather we often will have to wait till end of May or June for 66c unless we have a unusually warm front come up from Spain mid March or April.
Though likely now your colonies are under a few feet of snow going by the world news.

Latest posts

Back