How long have you waited for a postal queen to start laying?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair enough, but I'd be happy to wager that the vast majority of failed queen introductions is due to there being one of: a) virgin q, b) duff mated queen, c) laying workers, in the colony.

laying workers are no problem - but a lot of the time you'll find the old queen never went!

The LASI queen I ordered has taken approximately 12 days to begin to lay. Patience remains a virtue.
Cazza

The LASI queen I ordered has taken approximately 12 days to begin to lay. Patience remains a virtue.
Cazza
Was that a mated queen Cazza or a virgin ?

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My LASI queen is laying but she is still only on a patch of brood. The patch is getting larger....but I'm not impressed...however...the rest of the nuc is squeaky clean!
I've introduced a few new queens this year. I lay the queen cage on top of the bars and watch for a while for the bee behaviour. I was told that if you can wipe them off the queen cage easily....then they are accepting her. If they cling on hard...she isn't being accepted at that time. I found if I took away the cage for a little while and then put it back on the frames in the same place...then the bees accepted her. I released one queen immediately but the others went into the hive for 24 hours with the tab in place...then I took off the tab and the bees released her within a few hours.
One queen...my Aga Queen, was killed when she was introduced to a nuc...which was supposed to be queenless. I had previously put in a frame and they made a couple of queen cells. So I thought it was safe but no it wasn't. There was a virgin in the nuc. She also killed the queen cells too. She is a small black queen and now laying the nuc up. She was difficult to spot...but now she wears a white dot so spotting her will hopefully be a bit easier. I did spot her originally ...when she was a virgin but not since. They can be devilish hard to see.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back