Queen off lay how long should I give her

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
One of my hives the queen went off lay about 3 weeks ago. This coincided with the removal of supers.
Hive was low on stores so I am feeding this hive. The queen is a 2023 queen and there has been no attempt by bees to requeen. I am wondering how long is normal for being off lay as I am concerned that there will be no winter bees made.
Any advice appreciated.

That should get her back laying, so long as all else is functioning. What was her pattern like before the pause?
Before the pause she was laying well, my feeling is that lack of stores caused it but am wondering if the timing means that they will go into winter without new bees - or is it likely she will lay again before winter sets in? wondering whether to nuc the queen and combine rest of hive with another colony or just wait a while.

as curly says, they often have\ a break at this time and then lay the winter bees - it's not October yet. Don't get sucked up in to the growing fad that winter bees get laid earlier and earlier. I'm waiting for the day when someone will state their belief that winter bees are brought by the Easter bunny

as curly says, they often have\ a break at this time and then lay the winter bees - it's not October yet. Don't get sucked up in to the growing fad that winter bees get laid earlier and earlier. I'm waiting for the day when someone will state their belief that winter bees are brought by the Easter bunny
So when do the winter bees get laid? Is the start of Oct too early to ram the hive full of stores by feeding?

Is the start of Oct too early to ram the hive full of stores by feeding?
If you feed 2:1 and temps are lower and colony size is reduced, the bees may find it difficult to reduce the water content.

If you feed invert syrup or a big block of fondant - both which have far less water content - bees will take down the bulk in late summer & autumn and the rest right through winter.

Bear in mind that my Southern late summer, autumn and winter will not be the same as yours up North.

If you feed 2:1 and temps are lower and colony size is reduced, the bees may find it difficult to reduce the water content.

If you feed invert syrup or a big block of fondant - both which have far less water content - bees will take down the bulk in late summer & autumn and the rest right through winter.

Bear in mind that my Southern late summer, autumn and winter will not be the same as yours up North.
Got it, thanks. Ideally, when is best to pile on the feed…from the point of view of not restricting the queen too early?

Thankyou, yes I have been getting sucked into that idea that I am running out of time for winter bees. I will wait a while.

One of my hives the queen went off lay about 3 weeks ago. This coincided with the removal of supers.
Hive was low on stores so I am feeding this hive. The queen is a 2023 queen and there has been no attempt by bees to requeen. I am wondering how long is normal for being off lay as I am concerned that there will be no winter bees made.
Any advice appreciated.
Normally feeding should start laying again even if it has been stopped.

Latest posts

Back