house alarm revamp

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the beehive lodge

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been thinking about this since keeping bees. I mess about with house alarms and had a set up in my old place we lived in a one level house and had two german shepherd dogs who spent their time in the kitchen. When we went out all my sach windows had micro switches on them as soon as the alarm went off instead of sirens going of I took the power to open an electric door release on the kitchen door letting the dogs out and have run of the entire house all doors were locked back with a hook. I spent time setting off the alarm and hiding in each room so they would look in all and find me their way of the best game ever after some time it was second nature for them to do and play the game none of my mate would take my place to see how the dogs would react fortunately no one breach my set up and i never had the opportunity to put it to the test LOL

Now we have moved and live in a very big house my new idear is using this method with bees. I would like to have an observation hive in the living room then if someone nasty breaks in they would find all over the down stair bees. Would they say and sill rob us? I was thinking of the same set up with the door release on the side with a motor to slightly shake the hive for 10 secs. New take on guard bees also I have a module that rings three phone numbers after the acivation to let me know the house alarm has gone off.
:rolleyes: not worthy

It's an idea. However I don't know anyone who has a home alarm who doesn't make the occasional mistake and sets the alarm off for a few seconds when entering or leaving. That or gets false alarms when curtains blow, for instance. Resetting is not usually a problem, even released dogs can be called back. Clearing a house of angry bees when you're just about to leave is another matter entirely.

:iagree: :hurray:i didn't think that far on that score but i do pride my self on not having false alarms how ever the kids do forget som times thanks for thinking outside the box will have to think a bit more however might get the kids thinking LOL

Your bees wlll fly to the light and try to get out that way.

I would rely on your dogs.

PH

The noise of the dogs is very threatening too (to people who don't know the dogs). I think I would be inclined to keep with the dogs and perhaps add some sound options - more dogs barking, or even voices saying 'I've called the cops'.
Have you used CCTV cameras as part of your system? It can give useful back up to catch culprits if things go wrong and be a good deterrent. Combined with the dogs i doubt you'd have any trouble.

yes i have cctv install another thing i mess with caught two lads breaking in a car at morrisons in feb police laught after they saw the tape the boys denied before seeing the tape bang to rights manager of store got £600 damages

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IyJIc-lj6g&feature=youtube_gdata[/ame]

Last edited:
no i like to buy me some time alarm bells not do any thing apart from anoying
cos my alarm ring my mobile i can make it home faster that gmp

lol they were crap the local kids here would have had that car away in under 20 seconds

Latest posts

Back