Extraction/honey room rental

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
For the last few seasons I have been supplying outlets and have had to 'do things by the book' with extraction and processing.

As I am unable to set up a honey room at home due to the lack of space (including garden which has been taken over by storage sheds, I have been renting on an hourly basis the commercial grade kitchen from the local community hall.

Served me right but a real pain as I can't leave anything there including the 12 frames extractor or settling tanks. I can't be dealing with another season of that nonsense but equally can't justify renting a small unit on a 12 months basis only to actively use it for a couple of months a year.

Other than relying on the good will of a friend who may have spare space for me to turn into a honey room, would anyone have any suggestions on other options (moving house is not!)

For the last few seasons I have been supplying outlets and have had to 'do things by the book' with extraction and processing.

As I am unable to set up a honey room at home due to the lack of space (including garden which has been taken over by storage sheds, I have been renting on an hourly basis the commercial grade kitchen from the local community hall.

Served me right but a real pain as I can't leave anything there including the 12 frames extractor or settling tanks. I can't be dealing with another season of that nonsense but equally can't justify renting a small unit on a 12 months basis only to actively use it for a couple of months a year.

Other than relying on the good will of a friend who may have spare space for me to turn into a honey room, would anyone have any suggestions on other options (moving house is not!)
Have you spoken to the Gower honey cooperative? - you are eligible to be a member and can use their extraction facility.

Have you spoken to the Gower honey cooperative? - you are eligible to be a member and can use their extraction facility.
Yes, I am a member and it's through them that I use the kitchen. Their extractor is only a small one and quite old so took mine in (which needs 2 people to move) to speed up the process.

I even got dragged to be the secretary, lucky there is only 1 meeting a year 🤣

Watched this YouTube video about a French cooperative. In French but can use the translated subtitles to get the gist.

Maybe we need more organizations like this. CETA44, La Miellerie collective du Pays Nantais. Run by volunteers.

I don't speak or read French but this sort of setup looks remarkably useful for beekeepers. Maybe someone could translate how much they charge to use the extraction room.

View attachment 35463
this is what google translate came up with
1679054343741.png

Watched this YouTube video about a French cooperative. In French but can use the translated subtitles to get the gist.

Maybe we need more organizations like this. CETA44, La Miellerie collective du Pays Nantais. Run by volunteers.

I don't speak or read French but this sort of setup looks remarkably useful for beekeepers. Maybe someone could translate how much they charge to use the extraction room.

View attachment 35463
Don't worry, I won't have any problems reading it, French is my 1st language 🤣

I will do a translation not word by word though!!
SWMBO still hasn't forgiven me when, on our honeymoon in Mont St Michel, she asked me to get a chicken from the rotisserie when we shopping for a picnic lunch and, in my best French (remember I picked up a lot when patrolling the channel with our counterparts in places like Cherbourg, Brest and Bolougne) I confidently asked the young lady behind the counter for a spit roasted dockside prostitute.

SWMBO still hasn't forgiven me when, on our honeymoon in Mont St Michel, she asked me to get a chicken from the rotisserie when we shopping for a picnic lunch and, in my best French (remember I picked up a lot when patrolling the channel with our counterparts in places like Cherbourg, Brest and Bolougne) I confidently asked the young lady behind the counter for a spit roasted dockside prostitute.
I bet it must have gone down a treat withthe young lady too!! I hope her dad wasn't working there as well🤣

Food grade shed?
unfortunately, all the spare space in the garden has been used for storage sheds.

When in the EU we could have accessed RDP or ERDF funding to develop these types of initiatives. Now I doubt UK Government or devolved governments will support these initiatives. We have a Gower Cooperative setup here which originally was set up with something similar in mind but it never took off and all they offer is cheaper ambrosia only attracting the 2 hive hobbyist prepared to pay the price of ambrosia!

this is what google translate came up with
View attachment 35464
This is quite accurate. The caution on the bottom is a deposit.
Members hourly rates are only 50 centimes cheaper. and material can also be hired for use outside the facility.

The cooperative was initially created by an agricultural college as they offered an apiculture formation in partnership withthe regional Bee Association. The regional government stepped in to support, and working with local professional and hobbyist beeks created the Loire Atlantique Beekeeping Technical Study Center which now offers this facility as well as professional training for young people and farmers.

) I confidently asked the young lady behind the counter for a spit roasted dockside prostitute.
So what happened when you returned to the Wife with another lady on your arm.

In fairness those spit roast chickens would never feed 3😉

Back