storing supers prior to extraction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives
prior to extraction i normally store supers in the clean room in the house away from mice and ants but slightly worried about wax moth etc and first time in a while i have had spring honey to extract and it might be a while til i can extract ... have cut the comb out from the foundationless frames but still got frames that need to be extracted.

my mate helps with his extractor but i like to go with a 20 frames or more to make the job more efficient and he might not be ready for a few weeks.

I guess I could store the frames in the freezer (have a chest freezer with some space) or could I put the cleared supers on top of the crownboard with a small hole in so the bees can keep the wax moth at bay ?

how do you folks handle this situation ?

wrong answers include "buy your own extractor you tight git" lol

prior to extraction i normally store supers in the clean room in the house away from mice and ants but slightly worried about wax moth etc and first time in a while i have had spring honey to extract and it might be a while til i can extract ... have cut the comb out from the foundationless frames but still got frames that need to be extracted.

my mate helps with his extractor but i like to go with a 20 frames or more to make the job more efficient and he might not be ready for a few weeks.

I guess I could store the frames in the freezer (have a chest freezer with some space) or could I put the cleared supers on top of the crownboard with a small hole in so the bees can keep the wax moth at bay ?

how do you folks handle this situation ?

wrong answers include "buy your own extractor you tight git" lol
Don't take them off until you need to extract them.

Much easier to extract when still a bit warm from the hive. Putting them in the freezer sound like you will have to actively warm them, putting them back on the hive (even with a small hole) will probably fill them with bees!
"I wouldn't start from here", sorry!

Latest posts

Back