Tainted Honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasMassive

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I have just lost a colony to wax moth. It was a colony I caught in Spring 2022 and which was always rather feeble . I nurtured it through winter and hoped it would pick up this spring but about a fortnight ago no more bees, only the dreaded moth.

I immediately removed the hive from the apiary and killed all the moths and larvae I could see and squashed all the cocoons. I scraped and burned the inside of the empty hive then harvested the honey from the brood and super frames. I then put the frames into the freezer for 3 to 4 days.

After a bit of research I learnt that you can consume the honey in wax moth situations … but then I remembered I treated with Apivar last autumn.

Finally, the question: what would you do with the honey? We ate some before I thought about the apivar (yikes!) but it is toxic so that’s not a good idea, unless it wears off after several months. Does any one know? Obviously I plan to use some of this honey to feed the bees in the winter. Then I wondered if I give this honey to the bees now, will they clean and store it so I can harvest in about a month?

Last edited:
Humour now lost in the edit!

I suggest the colony was lost before wax moth took over. As for the honey, eat it yourself, don't sell it.

That’s what I thought too. My question is really about the apivar and how much it tainted the honey. No super on when I treated but when I harvested the honey there was a super and not thinking about Apivar I put honey from super with honey from hive frames. I guess that diluted it. Also Apivar removed about 9 months ago. If I give this harvested honey to bees now, then harvest in about a month, am I going to be able to eat what I harvest? In my head Apivar is like radioactive material. Grateful for your thoughts

Steady! The number 1 FAQ on the Veto-Pharma website suggests that if used as per the label, no trace will remain.

https://www.blog-veto-pharma.com/us/most-asked-questions-concerning-apivar/
Up and down thread How nasty is Apivar for humans?

Likely answer to stop you lying awake: after 42 days no trace of Amitraz found:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00218839.2021.1918943?journalCode=tjar20
Eric, my daughters and I will sleep well tonight. Thanks for taking the time to link the other discussions

Back