Treating Wax moth and grub

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But it's the sulphur dioxide created by the sulphur burning that is the active substance and sulphur dioxide is heavier than air... hence it is best done from the top down. Do you re-treat every four weeks as recommended? It's why I prefer to use the nematodes which will continue to act for months... if not years .

In fact ... I've just looked at the product you have highlighted and it says remove foodstuffs .. I don't think it's the same .... you might want to rethink your stored frames treatment if that's what you are using !

It also says not for use with bees

JMB quote "nothing like a bit of open feeding to give the bees a boost"

Strangely bees don't tend to fly at night or come out of the hive during the day at subzero temps. Obviously much hardier bees in Wales than here in Yorkshire! Also I don't store wet supers so there would be nothing to attract bees to rob in "clean" supers. Wet supers don't tend to get infested with wax moths so normally no need to freeze them so Idg has been unlucky in this respect)
My wet supers stored in the garage, sealed top and bottom, after 3 weeks had wax moth infestation. I let the bees clean up then freeze for 24 hours, it works!

Latest posts

Back