Keeping honey runny over winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liz123

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I would like to keep some honey over winter to sell in the spring, I’ve been told I need to convert an old freezer into a warming cupboard. Has anyone done this? is this the best way to store the honey? Just been reading about freezing it, not yet confident about doing that. If anyone tell me what equipment I need for the freezer (I’ve got one) I would be most grateful. As may have guessed I’m fairly new at this but learning fast. Thanks.

Just freeze the jars. It gave me runny honey for Christmas! Try it with a jar

you don't store the honey in a warming cabinet to keep it runny for months, you leave it crystalise in your storage buckets then warm it up in the cabinet for a day or two to re-liquefy it and bottle it.
you need (for a bucket or two at a time) an old fridge, a couple of 12" 60w Hausen tubular heaters and an STC100 thermostat

you don't store the honey in a warming cabinet to keep it runny for months, you leave it crystalise in your storage buckets then warm it up in the cabinet for a day or two to re-liquefy it and bottle it.
you need (for a bucket or two at a time) an old fridge, a couple of 12" 60w Hausen tubular heaters and an STC100 thermostat
Thank you for answering I’m definitely going to do that.

I’d like to try that but am concerned the glass would shatter
Honey won’t expand as much as water.
Store your honey in buckets as most of us do. Then you’ll have to melt to bottle or bottle in unlabelled jars and heat those.
You don’t need a dedicated freezer and the space it consumes keep an eye out for those Lidl jam makers they take buckets or a dozen or so jars at a time.
There are other more expensive water bath type’s available from bee suppliers.
https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/wax-melting/kochstar/
Lidl option is about £40..?…and will do the same job.

I don't think honey will expand much if at all as it's less than 20% water.
You could put a plastic bucket of honey in the freezer instead if you're wary of the glass.
I have an old fridge with two 40W tube heaters controlled by an Inkbird temperature controller which they just plug into, no wiring work involved.

I don't think honey will expand much if at all as it's less than 20% water.
You could put a plastic bucket of honey in the freezer instead if you're wary of the glass.
I have an old fridge with two 40W tube heaters controlled by an Inkbird temperature controller which they just plug into, no wiring work involved.
Yes, the honey doesn't freeze as such of course in that it doesn't go into a solid state, but it just gets more viscous.... so there is no expansion. Usable and runny surprisingly quickly (20/30 minutes or so) when removed from the freezer into room temperature.

Water when it freezes and bursts pipes the expansion has nowhere to go and the pressure builds up. With a jar the expansion has the opportunity to expand upward in the jar into the gap between top surface and lid so no pressure, Milk in the day of home delivery and foil tops pushed the foil top off and the creamy top was above the glass bottle top but the glass was ok. Blue tits loved it too!!!

Store it in 30lb tubs... it will solidify ... watch out for one of these, they come up regularly on ebay and Gumtree - brand is Silvercrest. If Lidl stock them it's going to be in the next month or so - look for Lidl in the Middle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Fruit-Preserver-Jam-Maker/dp/B003QXB9TE
Useless for making jam but set at 40 degrees overnight it will return a set bucket of honey to liquid (with a couple of stirs).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back