Old honey filled brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Chick

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Due to bad weather and work, it’s the first time I’ve been though the bees this year, changed to new brood boxes floors etc. I have two hives that did not make it though winter. possibly varroa related. Question is both had two full brood boxes of honey to see them though winter, and some part filled supers, what do I do with them ? my other two hives don’t need any, and I’ve got so many part fulled supers to deal with as well that were not finished off last year. I do t have a freezer to store them. Or is it a case of just burn them, I’m not sure if they would be suitable for extraction as they have gone a bit mouldy on part of the frames and also a bit runny, if you know what I mean.

I had a brood box worth of solid ivy which I soaked out a few weeks ago. The worse bit was removing the cappings. It soaked out fine and the bees have done a brilliant job of repairing and reusing them.

Think of the value of drawn comb. ;) Dunk and shake a few times, light going over with a hose and they are done in no time.
Just don't do it on a day when the bees are flying and anywhere near the apiary ... or anywhere ANY bees are going to find you !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back