Honey Show Entries.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC47

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Honey show entries are for light, medium and dark honey.
Without going to the expense of buying grading glasses
how is it possible to decide which class to enter?.

The show secretary should always have a set. The main problem is usually sorting out the border between light and medium as relatively few people get dark honey

In smaller local shows one would also hope that show Secretary & judge would agree to moving exhibits that have inadvertently been entered into the wrong class especially for new exhibitors.

I always suggest when I see such exhibits that they be moved into the correct class. However big shows like the great yorkshire where applications to enter has to be submitted weeks ahead understandingly with hundreds of exhibits do not allow this.
One problem for judges is where the exhibitor has entered borderline colour honey from the same batch in both light and medium classes.

Our schedule says that if an exhibitor is not sure, they should consult the show manager at staging & the entry may be moved to the correct class. If they don’t & the honey is in the wrong class, it will be disqualified by the judges.
Honey that is truly the same colour as the grading glass can surely legitimately be in both classes?!

Honey that is truly the same colour as the grading glass can surely legitimately be in both classes?!

No - Honey that is lighter than the light filter is classed as light, Honey that is darker than the dark filter is classed as dark

Anything in between is classed as medium

I've only ever show my Honey once and that was last years club AGM.
I took two jars one set one runny but wasn't sure which it should go into, turns out it was correct, some had entered incorrectly but the judge sorted it out.
It's all a bit weird when you really look into it, from what he said it seems more like a jar show rather than whats in it that matters.
I did get the trophy for set so I'll be trying again this year, it may be weird but it's quite addictive :)

Last edited:
No - Honey that is lighter than the light filter is classed as light, Honey that is darker than the dark filter is classed as dark

Anything in between is classed as medium

Will depend on your judge then! Certainly most I have dealt with will give the benefit of the doubt!

Will depend on your judge then! Certainly most I have dealt with will give the benefit of the doubt!

Regardless of opinion, or any local practice - I'm giving the correct directions as to the use of honey grading glasses as printed in the instructions included with the original BBJ honey glasses, and as practiced by Bernard Diaper who approved the new fangled 'BD' honey glasses

Regardless of opinion, or any local practice - I'm giving the correct directions as to the use of honey grading glasses as printed in the instructions included with the original BBJ honey glasses, and as practiced by Bernard Diaper who approved the new fangled 'BD' honey glasses

Regardless of “correct directions as to the use of honey grading glasses as printed in the instructions included with the original BBJ honey glasses”, there are senior BBKA Honey Judges “out there” who appear different user instructions:
“There are two grading glasses in a set, one light coloured and one dark. Individual jars of honey are compared to these glasses. If the colour of the honey is equal to or lighter than the “light” glass, it is put into the light category. If the colour of the honey is equal to or darker than the “dark” glass it is put in the dark category.”
I am not going to comment further on this (tbh I am not concerned what others do – I just thought I would perhaps be able to help a novice exhibitor a little!) – suffice it to say, before I take my final assessment I will find out what method the assessor uses & stick to that for the duration of the assessment. After that, up to me!

Latest posts

Back