Many going to the National Honey Show?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking for something like this for ages so bought them as soon as I saw them at the show. I have tried one out and really like them - but the cut comb piece I used to test is quite deeply drawn out and only just fits in. The clear cover just touches the comb - which wouldn't be a problem if the comb was dry and I hadn't smeared honey everywhere!

Attachments

• IMG_20231030_170512.jpg
    IMG_20231030_170512.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I used my new Thornes cutter which was in the sale. Does that look big? I don't normally do cut comb except for our association honey show so have little experience with it
You have to fill the box so make a template and cut round that with something really sharp like a boning knife.

No not really unless your hives are painted a reflective white ... Sorry radiation can be non-intutive
You're telling me!

Mike Palmer's hives are in fact painted white. You seem to be saying that a solar gain from tar paper is dependent on the white paint below it on the hive walls. If IUYC.

I read your reply to @Erichalfbee carefully and looked up emissivity. I guess Mike P is going back to his first science lessons when we all learned that white surfaces reflect and black surfaces absorb heat. There's half a continent of beekeepers over there using tar paper rather than 'proper' insulation.

Just because something works doesn't mean to say it couldn't be improved. Do you think that beekeepers in the upper North American climate could do things better for their bees?

Could you use one edge to cut the comb to size? Any box will look more attractive when full. If that doesn't work, use a very fine knife. I tried heating the blade briefly and chilling the comb; sort of helped, but it's always a mess.
I use one of theses cheap blades that slides out of the handle. The important things are that it is sharp and thin. This blade is uniformly thin. I don't think there's a knife like that.

This thoroughly deserved to win ,I shall look forward to reading them all.A lot of time and effort went into producing the newsletter ,and I'm sure your association members are grateful for the information
John
:iagree: Great newsletters...a lot of effort put into them...well done. 👏👏👏

Could you use one edge to cut the comb to size? Any box will look more attractive when full. If that doesn't work, use a very fine knife. I tried heating the blade briefly and chilling the comb; sort of helped, but it's always a mess.
I stand my knife in warm water in between cutting and dry of with a clean tea towel it helps .
Also I don’t have a cc cutter so I use one container as a template to cut around with a knife.

I know it's premature... but any chance you'll be there next year? I'd have loved to come but am "financially and geographically inconvenienced" this year. Cheers
The NHS lectures are recorded and are available later on the YouTube channel if that’s any compensation for this year

Latest posts

Back