Many going to the National Honey Show?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we were leaving and everything was being taken down I spotted what I imagine are new Thorne cut comb containers..... but everyone was busy and we needed to get off.

Did anyone else notice them? Perhaps they're not even cut comb containers at all. I don't know as any signage had already been removed.

IMG_20231028_160913.jpg

That's what I like least about honey shows. I've tried to get a rule stopping the practice at our local show but I think the organisers know that they would lose lots of entries.
Yes I'm sure it happens .. unless entries could be marked permanently by the Judge it would be almost impossible to police. The least rule should certainly be that any entry that gains a prize should be barred from re-entering the same show 12 months later.

That's what I like least about honey shows. I've tried to get a rule stopping the practice at our local show but I think the organisers know that they would lose lots of entries.
I was at the NHS a few years ago and the quality of the frames of honey was appalling, I would have been ashamed to show them anywhere let alone the NHS - some were so bad the only place for them was the bonfire - I certainly wouldn't have risked extracting any of them. Quite a few of the jarred honey exhibits that year shouldn't have been staged either.

Thank you :)

You can see the newsletters here.
Leaving the Editors job on a high note then Archie ? Anyone who takes it on is going to have a hard job to produce anything better - good luck finding your successor.

When we were leaving and everything was being taken down I spotted what I imagine are new Thorne cut comb containers..... but everyone was busy and we needed to get off.

Did anyone else notice them? Perhaps they're not even cut comb containers at all. I don't know as any signage had already been removed.

View attachment 37979
Yes CC containers. Have been around for a while, but no UK distributors until now and minimum order was far more than use in a lifetime

View attachment 37979
I remember Murray McGregor being asked where we could find his honey for sale. He said he didn't know. And then added that cut comb in containers like these were probably his honey. As @Mint Bee says above, they haven't been easy to buy in the UK till now.

Thanks @BeeKeyPlayer and @Mint Bee , sufficient information to get me to do what I could have done to begin with and look at their online catalogue (I had flicked through the paper one but to no avail).

Starting at £5 for 10. Not a bad price in the grand scheme of things.

Went today , unfortunately no talks for me as I’d left it a bit late to book.
Pleasant train journey and extremely friendly and helpful stewards.
The photographs on the first floor were amazing
Think I’ll book some annual leave next year and get a membership for the whole 3 days
There was no need to book the talks - just walk in. Workshops you did have to book and by all accounts they were well filled. My wife went to encaustic art - came out with some lovely bits of work she did (never heard of it or done any before the show) and is smitten with it and bought a a set of kit once she got home and is ready to go. We (Wednore and Cheddar) got an HC for our shop window so well chuffed as we only entered at the last minute and hadn't a firm idea of what was needed. On the Friday morning after, one of the judges talked us through the entries which was a great help (and learning curve).

Last edited:
Yes I'm sure it happens .. unless entries could be marked permanently by the Judge it would be almost impossible to police. The least rule should certainly be that any entry that gains a prize should be barred from re-entering the same show 12 months later.
Simple way to make sure they are not re-entered is to say once entered the honey becomes the property of the show organisers and is sold for charitable purposes!

View attachment 37979
Ooo never spotted those
Look useful

Couldnt attend this year, Elaine just had a knee op so I'm on house duty. Did anyone mention the cluster as being insulating?

Last edited:
He asked if you were there and if you were could you stand up. He was having a joke with you
He was talking about ventilation and why his colonies needed it in the winter. He wraps his hives with black wrap for solar gain. Then the penny dropped....He gets condensation on his top boards because the sides, warmed by the sun, are warmer than the top.

Then the penny dropped....He gets condensation on his top boards because the sides, warmed by the sun, are warmer than the top.
he said last night it was so the cluster would, in the brief warmth, be able to expand slightly and be more mobile to reposition for stores

Back