Many going to the National Honey Show?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I entered lots of classes a got a little collection of awards but my first place for our association (Medway) newsletter is the one I'm really delighted about. Highlights for the Show for me were the Central Association's social night which included an impromptu (public) conversation between Prof Robert Pickard and Randy Oliver (a clash of titans!) and Sarah Wyndham-Lewis's workshop Planting for pollinators. The title gives only a hint of the huge range of issues, practical and philosophical, she covered with scintillating delivery. I bought her new book The Wild Bee Handbook: The Amazing Lives of Our Wild Species and How to Help Them Thrive. I also bought Eric Tourneret's new book Beeing, and got a trolley to carry it to the car. Nice to chat to the man himself.

I entered lots of classes a got a little collection of awards but my first place for our association (Medway) newsletter is the one I'm really delighted about. Highlights for the Show for me were the Central Association's social night which included an impromptu (public) conversation between Prof Robert Pickard and Randy Oliver (a clash of titans!) and Sarah Wyndham-Lewis's workshop Planting for pollinators. The title gives only a hint of the huge range of issues, practical and philosophical, she covered with scintillating delivery. I bought her new book The Wild Bee Handbook: The Amazing Lives of Our Wild Species and How to Help Them Thrive. I also bought Eric Tourneret's new book Beeing, and got a trolley to carry it to the car. Nice to chat to the man himself.
Now that sounds a really useful show for you. Well done

I saw you chatting to the author ... I was going to say cheerio but didn't want to disturb you. Well done on the award for the newsletter - I now how much you put into it ... and it's a thankless task at the best of times.

Thought the varieties of honey on show looked great...I was really intrigued by the jet black honey in several of the dark classes...what honey was that ?

Thought the varieties of honey on show looked great...I was really intrigued by the jet black honey in several of the dark classes...what honey was that ?
In the UK: Chestnut, Thistle and Golden Rod produce a dark amber honey that sometimes darkens further over time, but some of those on display in the dark class were exceptionaly dark and I don't know of any forage in the UK that would produce that level of darkness ...I saw that and wondered about it too ... looked more like Camp Coffee than honey.

Some of the capped frames on display were not that great ... the winner was near perfect but it was pretty much the exception. I wonder how many go back in the freezer to come out again a year later !

Sorry to miss you all. Two days was enough for us. Missed Mike Palmer‘s talks but will catch up with them on video. Went to two Randy Oliver talks which were fascinating and informative. Tried my best to keep up 😃 but will watch them back again.

I entered lots of classes a got a little collection of awards but my first place for our association (Medway) newsletter is the one I'm really delighted about.
Well done on your first place. Could you share your winning newsletter?
I always like to read the associations' newsletters and I know the easy reading of a lot of them belies the real effort put in by the writer. 😃

some of the darkest ones were in the international section - I know that a few of the Bees Abroad entries were very dark, one of the project entries, Rory's well, Sierra Leone had a first - a lot of the African honeys, being primarily forest honeys are dark

some of the darkest ones were in the international section - I know that a few of the Bees Abroad entries were very dark, one of th project entries had a first - a lot of the African honeys, being primarily forest honeys are dark
I didn't know you were coming to the show. I'd have liked to say hello.

Well done on your first place. Could you share your winning newsletter?
I always like to read the associations' newsletters and I know the easy reading of a lot of them belies the real effort put in by the writer. 😃
Thank you :)

You can see the newsletters here.

@BeeKeyPlayer
Yes please. They all looked so good I wanted to pick yours up to read…. But those eagle eyed stewards were everywhere
There's no one more alert than a volunteer steward :ROFLMAO:

When collecting my stuff after the show, the steward kept deserting me and running off to chase off people sidling through the barriers.

I wonder how many go back in the freezer to come out again a year later !
That's what I like least about honey shows. I've tried to get a rule stopping the practice at our local show but I think the organisers know that they would lose lots of entries.

Really enjoyed the Centenary show. Great to meet old friends and make new ones too. The quality of the lectures was fantastic and highlights for me were Mike Palmer’s Brood Factories talk and the Seasonal Management of Double Nucleus. Also Randy Oliver’s talks and Richard Noel’s Asian hornet talk. Lots to think about and put into practice next season.

Managed a 2nd, three 3rds and a VHC in the show (must try harder!). My dark honey got a 3rd and whilst looking black it was actually ruby red when held up to the light. It was bell heather honey.

I didn't know you were coming to the show. I'd have liked to say hello.
I didn't go, bit too far for me and I had too much on with work to take time off - instead I'm at Symonds Yat at the moment for a BFA regional meeting - guest speaker Mike Palmer!

Latest posts

Back