What colour is Hawthorne honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
As per title what colour is Hawthorne honey ?
Not dark that’s generally extra propolis they collect which gets into the honey ?
The pollen isn’t dark?
IMO in its purer form it’s light but still has the taste requirements.

Not dark that’s generally extra propolis they collect which gets into the honey ?
The pollen isn’t dark?
I've just extracted some honey that is as light and clear as healthy piss. I'm near OSR, but last year that honey was a shade darker. We have a mass of hawthorn nearby and they have definitely been on that over the last couple of weeks, so I hope your guess is correct.

Last edited:
I've just extracted some honey that as light and clear as healthy piss. I'm near OSR, but last year that honey was a shade darker. We have a mass of hawthorn nearby and they have definitely been on that over the last couple of weeks, so I hope your guess is correct.
IMG_0321.jpeg
From the home apiary a super of comb started on strips.
A bit like your description .

Looks to me like there is a lot of sugar crystals in there courtesy of OSR.
I was surrounded by OSR this year and I had difficulty getting the honey through the second metal filter even after warming - needed to change the fine filter after every super as clogged with sugar crystals. It started crystallising in the bucket after 2-3 days. Im just going to make soft set with it.

The pollen isn’t dark?

The pollen s quite light. Murray has posted pictures of his his frames and says at a glance they look like some awful chalk brood !
I don't quite see a distinction between hawthorn honey and purer hawthorn honey

I've seen hawthorn honey (miel d'aubepeine) on sale in France. Looks quite dark to me, similar hue to dandelion.

Attachments

• img_8956.jpeg
    img_8956.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 0
Same here in North London. Been quite a flow, though over now.

Met a beekeeper of senior years who reckoned hawthorn was good for nectar one year in nine.
I thought it was once every 7 years for good Hawthorne

My dandelion honey was yellow.
And mine I’m extracting now this morning and it’s thick gloppy stinky stuff.
Some frames have dandelion in the middle and hawthorn around the outside

Met a beekeeper of senior years who reckoned hawthorn was good for nectar one year in nine.
depends what you mean by 'good for nectar' I get hawthorn honey in the hives most years here, a harvestable surplus less frequently although at a push I could pinch some most years (just leaves them short for the 'June gap') but always a chance it gets a dash of dandelion mixed with it.

depends what you mean by 'good for nectar' I get hawthorn honey in the hives most years here, a harvestable surplus less frequently although at a push I could pinch some most years (just leaves them short for the 'June gap') but always a chance it gets a dash of dandelion mixed with it.
2021 we had some but this year by looking at the supers and brood frames a lot more of it this season.

What are your thoughts on the colour?
Would you agree that propolis plays its part in the darker colour in Hawthorne?
Because it isn’t the pollen.

My dandelion honey was yellow.
So is mine when it's set, looks like this 16856951453164983982816577361998.jpg

When 1st extracted, it's similar to the French hawthorn above. The smell splits the family, I find it great alongside a strong cheddar.

We could settle for 8! :)
2007, 2015 and now 2023, as years where combs were stuffed with Hawthorn pollen and nectar but I would say this year has out done the other two, the farm has loads of Hawthorn and it's been spectacular.
Wet, miserable starts to Spring seems a common theme, I just hope the rest of this year doesn't follow suit as they turned into wet Summers

Latest posts

Back