What colour is Hawthorne honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you explain to me then what does?

I would guess that the mix of sugars probably doesn't make that much difference, but the water content and the rest of the "stuff" that makes up the honey may well. So as the water content reduces I'd expect the honey to become darker, but the different balances of animo acids, polyphenols and alkaloids might well have an effect too. And whilst pollen and minute particles of wax and propolis might not directly alter the colour, perhaps they have some effect by blocking more of the light passing through the honey as the water content reduces.

James

2007, 2015 and now 2023, as years where combs were stuffed with Hawthorn pollen and nectar but I would say this year has out done the other two, the farm has loads of Hawthorn and it's been spectacular.
Wet, miserable starts to Spring seems a common theme, I just hope the rest of this year doesn't follow suit as they turned into wet Summers
I thought it might be something like that. Also wondered if the stress from last Summer plus the mild Autumn allowing recovery triggered increased flowering.

Here we're surrounded by acres of OSR as far as the eye can see so unfortunately probably missed out on the once in a decade hawthorn. 😞

As an aside, does hawthorn honey have a similar tendency to granulation?

I thought it might be something like that. Also wondered if the stress from last Summer plus the mild Autumn allowing recovery triggered increased flowering.
Quite possibly, the Hawthorn has been particularly laden with blossom this year.

Here we're surrounded by acres of OSR as far as the eye can see so unfortunately probably missed out on the once in a decade hawthorn. 😞

As an aside, does hawthorn honey have a similar tendency to granulation?
Takes a while to granulate but it doesn't go rock hard.

Latest posts

Back