Honey prices on selling on three fronts.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 819

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Having sold some bulk for approx. £110 a bucket , I have come to think I sold it still too cheaply and should have asked £125 each.
Direct sales I'm selling at £7.50 for 340g .
To me the tricky one is selling the 340g to a re-seller , I 'm charging £5.50 so their mark up is what ever they can sell it for.
If they mark it up 36% then they can sell for £7.50 which to me seems easy money considering they don't have to do anything to the product.

I know some on the forum say £6 and it doesn't sell, but to me I think it doesn't sell may be because it is too cheap . If we are selling a niche natural product direc tform the beekeeper then a decent price should acceptable.
Prices will vary regionally and some regions it appears some buyers appreciate the value it should sell for.
Here in my town it appears most are cheap scapes and prefer the cheapo supermarket rubbish, my sales aren't fantastic but are steady so am happy to hold on to it ,if need be.

Last edited:
Depends on a lot of things. Do you have plenty of storage space and what kind of space is it for the honey to be stored well?
Selling in bulk saves on jars/labels/time, something to factor in. Wholesale price depends on the order, if it is a good size order and regular then £5 per jar is reasonable IMO but there again, I was undercut by another beekeeper who was willing to supply at £4 per 340g and I know of 8oz jars being supplied for less than three quid.
I think your £110 was a decent enough price.

If they mark it up 36% then they can sell for £7.50 which to me seems easy money considering they don't have to do anything to the product.
They don't have to do anything to the product but running a shop isn't cheap. And I don't suppose they stand at the counter all day for fun.

I still sell on 227g and 454g jars.

227g at £6 or two for £10
454g at £10
I have one shop I supply 454g jars to unlabeled if its honey from their site and they want to sell under their own brand or labelled if it's from one of my other sites.
Both I sell to them at £6.50 as they usually buy at least 50 jars at a time.

Had no problems selling all of last year's honey at those prices.

Why not drop the 454 and sell at the same price in a 340? Put the two side-by side and there's not a lot of difference.

The larger jar has not been seen for years on retail shelves, for any product, never mind honey.
I haven't really felt the need to do this. There's still a healthy profit at £10 lb and I have lots of loyal customers who know exactly what they're getting.
My biggest customer is the reseller so maybe if they are willing to move over to a smaller size then I'd make the shift.

A deli I used to supply had a 60% markup on products they simply sold on. Then again a charity used to mark up my honey by over 100%.

I'm at the abbotsbury swanery In Dorset today and just picked up a jar for our collection. 454g for £11.

Sell to my local shop at £6/lb. They are having trouble shifting it at £8.50/lb. Last year I sold at £5, marked up to £7.50 and it flew off the shelves.

Sell to my local shop at £6/lb. They are having trouble shifting it at £8.50/lb. Last year I sold at £5, marked up to £7.50 and it flew off the shelves.
Folks are watching their pennies more this year. My wife tells me every week about different items increasing in price. Consequently she shops around more and any shop she perceives is going to high loses out for a while until the competition catches up. Lidl in Goole were creeping up on certain staples until Aldi opened a new store a few hundred meters along the road. Suddenly "special offers" appeared in the Lidl store.
I usually go in and wander about the middle aisle while she gets the grocery shopping. (Apparently I buy stuff we don't need or the wrong brand if I'm alongside her). Aldi had some great cordless tools but they seem to be phasing that part of the business out.

I'm at the abbotsbury swanery In Dorset today and just picked up a jar for our collection. 454g for £11.
If you are coming through Somerset you can have a jar of mine for free😁

Latest posts

Back