The Great Honey Heist !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More likely due to foraging area and fauna. We see differences in the taste and sweetness from honey from near but different forage areas, like the Yorkshire Wolds vs Yorkshire uplands only 20 miles distance apart. Different colors as well. A lot depends on the weather and which plants are yielding nectar. This year my "summer" honey is characterless in comparison to last years. Still good though.

Best in Yorkshire I am told:icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

Apart from the sweetness the consistency was unusual,24 hours after jarring you could turn the jars upside down without any honey pouring out
Could a percentage of heather in the honey cause this

Unusual to be sure.My really expensive heather honey usually takes a few days, after cold pressing, to regain a jelly like state. After 24 hours it will still run. This may be temperature dependent, but not really thought too much about it.

Last edited:
One for the connoisseur, or just the con?

Clever marketing. Make it look like a niche product, only sell it through expensive retail outlets, and price it high.

I don't see anyone on this forum selling their honey too cheap.

We import around 90% of the honey we need, so cannot meet demand, but some of the local offerings in small shops i have seen look disgusting, scum, crystallizing, fermenting, bits in it (lord knows what of) badly labelled, would not want it if they were giving it away.

Would you like to see it all priced like this...so only the rich could afford to buy it. https://www.fortnumandmason.com/products/new-fortnum-s-bermondsey-honey?taxon_id=50

hedgerow prices this year were
honey £10 per 454gn jar, which i have stepped down this year from last years £12 to shift the surplus stocks i had acquired , thats as soft set or added honeys or runny , but i only do the six sorts now that i have cut down

propolis is still £5 for 30gm in tincture or vodka

wax is at £1 per block to friends and carpenters for the wood finishing and leather work

every one else pays £2, sailors/surfers pay £3 as well as the lotions and potions i can make when requested

idiot townie candle craft makers pay £1.50 for plain and more for colours £1.75

live bees for medical uses are 20 bees for £5, i only have two people buying them now as one has retired

queens are £25 and small nucs £50, swarms i dont ever touch now

and people say bee keeping does not pay??

may be i am doing some thing wrong??

Welcome back Hedgerow Pete and Happy Christmas.

honey £10 per 454gn jar, which i have stepped down this year from last years £12 to shift the surplus stocks i had acquired , thats as soft set or added honeys or runny , but i only do the six sorts now that i have cut down

wax is at £1 per block to friends and carpenters for the wood finishing and leather work

every one else pays £2, sailors/surfers pay £3 as well as the lotions and potions i can make when requested

live bees for medical uses are 20 bees for £5, i only have two people buying them now as one has retired

Good to hear , good info Thanks !

Most folk me included like the input but my highlighted comment is not nice.

What's in the order of origin

I don't suppose for one minute that any of the packers mark their honey
Non EU and EU honey
as opposed to
EU and Non EU honey
to indicate relative content where appropriate?

Latest posts

Back