Propolis !!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbyjove

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
ONE
Hi guys I have one hive that is producing waaaaay too much propolis.
I am scraping away golf ball sized propolis from this hive without much effort but getting completely gummed up in the process.
When I started my beekeeping 'journey' I bought some useless stuff like Thornes Roboblock and a propolis screen.
Now seems a good time to make use of it, where on the hive would be the best place to put it.
Not the bin or up my backside, sensible answers only please ;)

Not the bin or up my backside
Might be good if you have a sore backside because propolis is anti-septic, anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-oxidant.

waaaaay too much propolis.
Use screens to collect and to sell it; I get £10/25g at market but prices online may be higher.

I used to make it into cough and sore throat sweets - use a basic boiled sweet recipe, and stir some propolis in with a little honey at the last moment. They sold very well in the hexagonal 8 oz jars.

I used to make it into cough and sore throat sweets - use a basic boiled sweet recipe, and stir some propolis in with a little honey at the last moment. They sold very well in the hexagonal 8 oz jars.
That’s an interesting thought 🙂 do you have any recipes you would like to share?

How difficult was it to get the paperwork done to sell them?

In what form do you sell it?
In shards in small glass jars. Screens are ideal if I can remember to put them on, but to remove it from Manley side bars needs planning, because it must be collected cleanly, without honey.

Removing it from a full frame is not practical and an extracted frame is sticky, so I put the empty combs back on for bees to clean and scrape the propolis off when the frames are dry.

You must treat the work as if it's open-heart surgery, and observe closely to ensure bee parts or other bits are not included.

I use a magnifying glass and go through the collection twice, then freeze overnight, bash the freezer bag about a bit and weigh it out before the propolis warms up.

Manleys can get strips 4 or 5mm wide between side bars, so a reasonable haul can be had.

Last edited:
That’s an interesting thought 🙂 do you have any recipes you would like to share?
I can't remember how much propolis I used - it was trial and error, possibly started with a tspful diluted in 2tbsp warm honey. Think I made half quantities first to check. Or add honey and propolis and drip a bit into cold water to taste. Please be very careful with boiling sugar!

To make the basic pulled sweets put 400ml water into a heavy pan, add 1kg white sugar, stir over gentle heat till sugar dissolved, raise temp slightly, skim off any foam, brush down sides with clean brush dipped in water, add 250g. glucose, raise to high heat, put in cook's thermometer, When temp reaches 140C gently stir in honey and p. When temp reaches 156C take off heat, stand on a metal trivet for 1.5 minutes to cool slightly, pour out onto an oiled marble slab, With oiled hands (gloves?) pick up edges, fold towards middle, keep doing this until it's satinised and cool enough to roll into ropes, twist, cut with oiled scissors. Lay out on baking paper to dry.

Back