Honey room waste water

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm looking at building a honey room out the back. Waste water is a bit of a funny one. I don't want to connect any sinks in the honey room to my sceptic tank because as I understand it, wax and drains don't mix. What have other people done with their outlets?

simples - don't put wax down the drain.
So you just wash general stuff outside in a big bucket? filters etc. At the end of the day its annoying having two sinks requirement as I seem only be able to use the handwashing one so far.

So you just wash general stuff outside in a big bucket? filters etc. At the end of the day its annoying having two sinks requirement as I seem only be able to use the handwashing one so far.
the strainers get flushed out with a hose on jet setting, the tiniest bits of wax that remains when you wash stuff in the sink is neither here nor there. the trick is not to wash things where there could be wax deposits in hot water.
really speaking there's not much in a honey room that needs to go in the septic tank - just a soakaway.

the strainers get flushed out with a hose on jet setting, the tiniest bits of wax that remains when you wash stuff in the sink is neither here nor there. the trick is not to wash things where there could be wax deposits in hot water.
really speaking there's not much in a honey room that needs to go in the septic tank - just a soakaway.
Yep, I was worried about that. I read a few minutes ago that any grey water can go straight into a infiltration ditch so its not as big a problem as I thought it would be .

I was extracting today and was aware on clean up that some small flakes of wax were going down the sink, there was more on the new "Garry" uncapper rollers so I put a strainer in the sink plughole and gathered quite a bit of wax. Well worth doing but you need one with a fine mesh.

Latest posts

Back