Honey comb sections

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
I have produced a few honeycomb sections in a trial this year. They are between 320-350grams... what sort of price could I expect?
I'm considering producing some rounds next year....I can get Ross Rounds from Bee Equipment but I seem to remember a Scottish supplier who produces their own but can't find details now. Anyone have any details?
Cheers

I cut mine so they are 225g to fit the little ‘crystal’ boxes. Charging £6 (at the gate). I am near Hertford.

Mine are not cut comb but actual comb in wooden section boxes. I tried them as an experiment.

Attachments

• IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    726.5 KB · Views: 37
They look lovely. Depending on the variation, you might price them individually by weight or just work out an average.

I would suggest at least double that of equivalent weight of runny honey. So if you had 8oz box then same price for 1lb jar plus a little bit

Wooden section honey is the premium honey product (especially if it's heather) and quite difficult to produce with all the cells filled right to the edge.
I'd agree with Ian123 that it would be roughly twice the price of run honey by weight. I would disagree with olriley about cutting it out for crystal boxes, unless the sections are only partly filled. I'll assume he mis-read the title.

I would disagree with olriley about cutting it out for crystal boxes, unless the sections are only partly filled. I'll assume he mis-read the title.

I wasn’t advising the OP to do that ... just explaining it’s what I do (I cut them from a whole, foundationless frame), so they would have the context behind why I get a uniform weight.

I wasn’t advising the OP to do that ... just explaining it’s what I do (I cut them from a whole, foundationless frame), so they would have the context behind why I get a uniform weight.

No problem, I guessed you were talking about frames of comb, although OP was asking about sections.

It’s me not being up in the lingo then - to me a section is a piece of something - so in my head we’re talking about the same thing :)

So in beekeeping land, section specifically means those dinky wooden sub-frames?

So in beekeeping land, section specifically means those dinky wooden sub-frames?

Unless they are in Ross rounds.

ross-round.jpg

Very nice Beefriendly, I'm considering the Rounds next year.
Where do you buy the kit from?

Throens sell them as do others. I've never used them myself, but am thinking about it. They look really neat and should sell for at least £8 each...

I’ve been dithering about trying them too. My main reason not to is all the plastic involved. Just doesn’t seem right somehow...

cut comb honey

Have just had a query from another beek. He has a few brood frames which were filled with honey and removed from the hives to give the queens room to lay last summer. I've no idea how its been stored. He is asking, do I know of any reason it might not be suitable to use as cut comb. I have never had any dealings with cut comb but my first thoughts were contaminated wax from treatments. OP says he has not used any treatments. I also mentioned the chance of brood or pollen in the comb. Other than that I am not qualified to give such advice.
Any thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
I have produced a few honeycomb sections in a trial this year. They are between 320-350grams... what sort of price could I expect?
I'm considering producing some rounds next year....I can get Ross Rounds from Bee Equipment but I seem to remember a Scottish supplier who produces their own but can't find details now. Anyone have any details?
Cheers

Circomb.co.uk ? Based in Dundee. They used to supply ross rounds but the website appears to have gone AWOL.

Have just had a query from another beek. He has a few brood frames which were filled with honey and removed from the hives to give the queens room to lay last summer. I've no idea how its been stored. He is asking, do I know of any reason it might not be suitable to use as cut comb. I have never had any dealings with cut comb but my first thoughts were contaminated wax from treatments. OP says he has not used any treatments. I also mentioned the chance of brood or pollen in the comb. Other than that I am not qualified to give such advice.
Any thoughts anyone?

If he plans to sell it, I would be cautious and agree with all your concerns. We sell cut comb and either use specifically thin foundation or let the bees draw it out.
S

If he plans to sell it, I would be cautious and agree with all your concerns. We sell cut comb and either use specifically thin foundation or let the bees draw it out.
S

Imagine chowing on that thick black old comb..but then a gain it might be full of iron...:rolleyes:

cut comb honey

Thanks Stiffy and Millet. Have tried to put him off with the points mentioned. Has a strong caramel(ish) flavour, apparently. Seems the wires pulled out easily, so no iron.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back