Honey buckets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tberni

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
several
Hello
Can anyone recommend a good supplier of 30lb honey buckets.
Thanks
Tim

Wynne Jones is good value for a 30lb bucket. I've also had a good deal from Compak on 20lb buckets, but I'm sure they do a 30lb as well.

Are you just looking for storage or selling in 30lb buckets?

If storage then I would go talk to your local sausage making butcher. Ask them if they use natural casings and if they do, talk to him (its still a male dominated industry) about the tubs they come in.

Ok, we make a lot of sausages (7000lb was made and sold in xmas week) but we also have a colossal amount of nice white tubs that thornes sell for a fiver each that usually end up taking a load of space up in the basement or head on down to landfill.

All food grade of course.

Baggy

Many thanks, I will get down to the butchers asap.

Thanks again
Tim

Local sandwich shops also throw out a lot of 30lb buckets from mayonnaise and fillings.

But be careful. Plastics can have a bit of a memory of what they previously contained and honey will absorb it all. If you can still smell something after you've cleaned the bucket then reject it.

Make sure you get buckets with wire handles not plastic. I once lost a full 30lb bucket of honey onto the floor when the plastic handle pulled out of the holes in the bucket. The bucket had been in the warming cabinet and the plastic handle softened.

we get 15lb buckets used for mayonaise, white but printed name on them, my source John Lewis restaurant in their local department store, they even put them through the dish washer for us and free

I get 10kg ones from my local Morrison's cake shop not quite 30lb and with plastic handles but free

Go and see your local dairy farmer. The chemicals used for cleaning the pipes in the parlour often come in nice buckets with lids. No taint as the cleaning product is food grade in the first place. They often have loads to spare.

Many thanks to all the excellent suggestions. Ive always bought my previous buckets through a leading bee supplier and theyve cost me about £4.00 each. I will definately go down some of the above routes.

Hello
Can anyone recommend a good supplier of 30lb honey buckets.
Thanks
Tim

Got 12 x 40 pounders lids included for nothing from a local cake and confectionary producer. He was as glad to get rid as I was to take. They stack inside one another lids on top and take up no space worth worrying about.

There I was, considering buying a pallet of food grade 10l buckets and lids. Looks like there are plenty out there for the collection cost only.

Regards, RAB

There I was, considering buying a pallet of food grade 10l buckets and lids. Looks like there are plenty out there for the collection cost only.

Regards, RAB

Your better off doing that RAB,then you know just what your getting,they are not expensive anyway,not worth risking a good quality product, by putting it in crap second hand containers and tainting the lot.

If there were enough takers, on a 'steady' distribution basis, I would consider it.

I believe they would come as 16 buckets each bag and 16 bags per pallet, but can't be sure of that. Long time since I have seen a pallet of them.

PM me if there is an interest and I will enquire. Might even be someone I know who might get a staff discount....

Given time, some can go to Inverness, Exeter(ish) and Croydon/Horsham/Swanley.

I am less than 5 mins from the A1 (about a mile) at Stamford.

I wouldn't really want to split bags if possible, but let's see if there is any interest. I usually pester a contact for a few, just to keep me going and the last supply was over 2 years ago (honey exchange jobbie)!

Regards, RAB

Your better off doing that RAB,then you know just what your getting,they are not expensive anyway,not worth risking a good quality product, by putting it in crap second hand containers and tainting the lot.

That is very unfair scaremongering. My post earlier refers to buckets used just the once for top grade commercial stuff and is not the junk you seem to think. If it was junk do you really suggest intelligent beekeepers would not know the difference? If you don't have something sensible to say do the obvious...........................

If you don't have something sensible to say do the obvious...........................

Afermo,Dilligaf.......is that obvious enough for you,my advice was to RAB,don't really care what you do,now go take a long walk of a short plank.

Last edited:
30lb of honey is about £120+ pounds retail value, perhaps £90+ wholesale. I'll stick to new buckets.

If trading standards sample your honey they will detect things in the range of ppm - far below what you would be able to detect yourself by smell. It doesn't matter if the contaminent from the previous contents is food grade or not - if it isn't supposed to be in honey there will be a serious sense of humour loss - interviews without coffee etc.

Last edited:
Go and see your local dairy farmer. The chemicals used for cleaning the pipes in the parlour often come in nice buckets with lids. No taint as the cleaning product is food grade in the first place. They often have loads to spare.

This comment scares me, most dairy farmers use hypchlorite as a pipe disinfectant which is heavily diluted in several hundreds of litres in order to wash the pipes out so yes is food grade in the dairy industry in an extremely diluted form but yet people are putting honey in buckets that held the concentrated form, for goodness sake a bucket can be bought for a few £, don't skimp on storage.

Latest posts

Back