Honey and gin

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honey is an expensive way of making ethanol from sugars Granulated sugar is far cheaper - unless the honey is not otherwise usable.

Gin is ethanol plus water plus the ‘gin infusions’ (basically juniper).

Distilling alcohol is technically illegal. Sugar (honey) does not distill.

So not sure of any real connection of honey with gin.

Use honey to make mead and leave the gin makers to use grain and juniper is my advice.

Honey is an expensive way of making ethanol from sugars Granulated sugar is far cheaper - unless the honey is not otherwise usable.

Gin is ethanol plus water plus the ‘gin infusions’ (basically juniper).

Distilling alcohol is technically illegal. Sugar (honey) does not distill.

So not sure of any real connection of honey with gin.

Use honey to make mead and leave the gin makers to use grain and juniper is my advice.
Thanks for your reply, but I was thinking of flavouring homemade gin with honey rather than using the honey to produce the gin

The sloe gin with honey looks great, definitely will have a go at that

So the original post was nothing about making gin? Only adulterating it?

Sloe gin, aged well, is a good tipple, IMO.

So the original post was nothing about making gin? Only adulterating it?

Sloe gin, aged well, is a good tipple, IMO.
Initially, t was about making gin, I've done a gin making course and want to make my own and use my honey to add flavour. The Slow gin recipe looked good though.

How much longer does it take to make slow gin? Much, much longer than sloe gin?

It is illegal to make gin unless you have a ‘customer & exercise’ license or purchase duty-paid ethanol and add the juniper essence in some way. They (customs and excise) will not allow private individuals to procure a license (without great expense and hassle). The only practical thing you are allowed to do is flavour existing gin.

But you can produce 2,500 litres of Bioethanol a year and be tax exempt ;-)

Gin flavoured BioFuel.....mmmmm :)

Not ethanol, I’m afraid! You cannot burn ethanol in a diesel engine. One is allowed to use 2500l of bio-diesel made from vegetable oil (usually waste oil). One is allowed to make a certain amount of wine or cider for sale, without a customs and excise license. There is a big difference between wine ABV and spirits.

Recent yeast strains can make in excess of 20% ABV. Gin is a spirit generally of 37% and above. Fortified wines are around 20%. Below that level, they oxidise rapidly and spoil when opened to the atmosphere. The 20% ABV strains of yeast do not make good drinkable wine - too many higher alcohols spoil the taste.

You need to learn a bit about fermentation, distillation and bio-fuel production.

LMAO....My poor diesel Vauxhall Vectra. 93,000 miles, its weird how it has survived the ECO loonies logic who don't understand how to lubricate bio fuel. But then I have only been brewing and stilling for 34 years and I obviously still can't be doing it right, I must ask for your advice as you obviously know so much more than me. The awards and Blue Ribbons I have gained must be by chance and I would really value your help explaining where me and the show judges have gone wrong...

Cheers, Mick

Last edited:
If you're putting it through a diesel Vectra then it's clearly not bioethanol that you're producing.

Honey_Moonshine_F_C_grande.jpgWe have been splitting Cornish spring water into Hydro Gin and Oxy Gin for years...:icon_204-2:

Our Nitro Gin is a best seller!

Yeghes da

Waste of good gin: the tonic water contains quinine (at least the good stuff does) and it works - I have never caught malaria anywhere in the world..

(But I did take malaria tablets in Nigeria)

Latest posts

Back