Marmalade

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What to try first? Thick cut, or medium cut?

James
Of the fruit?
I would say that it depends on the amount of water in the fruit for the same processing time. two rules
1.A higher water content can make a larger slice.
2. That at least one cut is made, since the fruit macerates better.

I tried a small batch
500g oranges
750g honey
400g sugar
850ml water.
50ml lemon juice
I soaked the sliced fruit overnight in just enough water and orange juice to cover.
The peel took only half an hour to cook and left 1 litre of liquid which I reduced down to 850ml.
Added 50ml whisky just before jarring. Nice firm set. Very pleased

I tried a small batch
500g oranges
750g honey
400g sugar
850ml water.
50ml lemon juice
I soaked the sliced fruit overnight in just enough water and orange juice to cover.
The peel took only half an hour to cook and left 1 litre of liquid which I reduced down to 850ml.
Added 50ml whisky just before jarring. Nice firm set. Very pleased
And hasn't it been too sweet for you, with almost 3 to 1?

Sorry, I did not calculate correctly, here the usual is 1:1, even that is too much sugar and those people use 2 fruit for 1 sugar. But if you like it like this 😅

Yes, here is a recipe for honey marmalade:
Ingredients:
  • 3 medium-sized oranges
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 1/2 cups of water
  • 1/2 cup of honey
Instructions:
  1. Wash the oranges and lemon thoroughly and cut them into thin slices, removing the seeds as you go.
  2. Place the sliced fruit in a large pot and add the water.
  3. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low.
  4. Simmer the fruit and water mixture for about 45 minutes or until the fruit is very tender and the liquid has reduced to about 1 1/4 cups.
  5. Remove the pot from the heat and add the honey, stirring until it is completely dissolved.
  6. Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes and then pour it into sterilized jars.
  7. Seal the jars and allow them to cool completely before storing in the refrigerator.
Go here for more marmalade recipes.

I’ll make a small batch and let you know.
How did it go with just honey for the sugar component? Interesting thread and wonder if using purely honey over pure sucrose will affect the setting due to variation in the caramelisation (and temperatures or timing needed) of the sugars??? Maybe could try making with sugar then adding honey once it starts to cool but may introduce another set of variables.

How did it go with just honey for the sugar component? Interesting thread and wonder if using purely honey over pure sucrose will affect the setting due to variation in the caramelisation (and temperatures or timing needed) of the sugars??? Maybe could try making with sugar then adding honey once it starts to cool but may introduce another set of variables.
I tried both and settled for replacing two thirds of the sugar. Setting point isn’t affected because the recipe needs added water and you simply make an adjustment for the honey.

Sorry ignore this. I was missing a load of posts which didn’t load properly, probably due to using my phone. Looks like you got a good result.

Ours took a bit more time to hit setting point, I'd guess because of the slightly higher initial water content. Based on am 80/20 split for the sugar and water in honey, replacing the sugar weight-for-weight in the Lakeland recipe with the appropriate amount of honey means there's a bit too much water (about quarter of a pint?). It has turned out darker than the same product made with sugar and water, but I'm not convinced that's anything to do with the caramelisation of the sugars in the honey. It may well be down to the behaviour of the components of honey that are not sugar(s) and water when they are heated for longer, or it may perhaps be the oranges. Ours has set a little too firm perhaps, but for a first attempt I'm quite happy with it. It's not like I'm needing to chisel it out of the jar :)

Taste-wise for me it's still a big initial rush of orange, but followed by those more complex honey notes you get after the first hit of sweetness.

James

A good jam thermometer like this that you can clip on the side of the maslen is a really good investment - some even have the setting zones marked in colour or a little pointer you can set at the temp you want to achieve ... BUT ... you have to watch the temperature and adjust the heat to keep your rolling boil.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tala-Therm...ds=jam+thermometer&qid=1673802326&sr=8-5&th=1
Elaine uses the IR thermometer I bought for doing the research in to radiation loss from hives for honey fudge and marmalade. Needless to say the model we are using is complete overkill for this application but...

Elaine uses the IR thermometer I bought for doing the research in to radiation loss from hives for honey fudge and marmalade. Needless to say the model we are using is complete overkill for this application but...

Thats ok. We use one for checking the temperature of the pizza oven :)

James

Latest posts

Back