Hive Ventilation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a perspex crown board, with holes,?

Why? The big idea? To cool the hive..

Generally:

You stir material and not the colony's need for heat or ventilatios. You really think that beekeeping goe on with tricks? Use your brains. That makes bees interesting.

We had a big conversation in winter about ventilation aj condenstaion.

Now it goes in the middle of summer and without any sense.
Just talking and social communications...awfull

Last edited:
Why do people feel the need to be rude when replying on this forum? Is there something in the forage?

Probably the majority have 'crownboards' with holes in them. Because that's how they are supplied.

Easily solved with a piece of ply.

"Matchsticks are a taboo subject here and will not mention it "

you just did - get to the back of the class!!!!!

Hear! Hear!

Anyone thought of using cocktail sticks, by the way?*

Dusty.

* Used, of course. To use new ones would be irresponsible.
I recommend a Copper Illusion:
one part Campari, one part Cointreau, six parts gin;
shake well over crushed ice till condensation appears on the outside of the shaker (essential to get the effect implied in its name);
pour over slice of lemon (not forgetting the cocktail stick!).
Of course, you will need 4 of these per hive.

* Used, of course. To use new ones would be irresponsible.
I recommend a Copper Illusion:
one part Campari, one part Cointreau, six parts gin;
shake well over crushed ice till condensation appears on the outside of the shaker (essential to get the effect implied in its name);
pour over slice of lemon (not forgetting the cocktail stick!).
Of course, you will need 4 of these per hive.

That's a good way of making increase - 4 of those and you immediately double your hive count :biggrinjester:

- and remember to save the cocktail stick, preferably four of them as they may come in useful!

Interesting thread. I'm on OMF no tray, crown board has feeder centre hole which I put bit of ply over and bees sealed with propolis. Roof vents, but I assumed this was to vent the roof void, like in a house. Do you guys use kingspan above the crown board all year or just in winter. Also what thickness?
Thanks

if you have thinwooden walls then a kingspan roof insert above 25mm thick has no appreciable benefit in winter but does in summer. (do the heatflow calcs)

My roof on the hives is just 50mm thick kingspan no "crown board" or conventional roof. If there is a feeding eke then it has a clear top and bottom board that sit inside the eke walls so as not to form a heat leak.
but then the walls are 50mm kingspan as well.

A cast catching us off guard with the kit means they are also on a 50mm solid kingspan floor... doesnt seem to be bothering them so far. We will see what they are upto this weekend

Last edited:
Totally agree with the no ventilation side on OMF. I have an extra floor in place of the varroa tray which is ventilated and I partially close it down with a sheet/s of card board if it is going to be very cold. The bees decide! and in my limited experience all holes - and especially the crown board are propolised very rapidly. I just use tiles over my CB holes all the time and add bubblewrap or kingspan in severe winter conditions - it is amazing how warm they keep it!.
P.

Last edited:
Hear! Hear!

Anyone thought of using cocktail sticks, by the way?*

My grandfather on solid floors used old non decimal copper ha'pennies instead of matchstick, his view was the copper in the half pennies killed nasty things in the hive

if you do it now though make sure is an early 2P piece as the newer coins are magnetic base metal and contain no copper.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back