Hive Ventilation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My crown boards do not have holes, my Feeder boards have holes and my clearer boards have holes but i don't use nor do i like the multlipurpose combined crown boards/feeder boards/clearer boards sold by the main retailers as "crown boards"

My bees including Nuc are on Open mesh floors with the varroa board removed ALL YEAR ROUND unless i am monitoring for varroa drop

in winter I insulated the space under the roof and above a solid crown board and the space ABOVE the insulation is vented via the roof vent, i use no other ventilation like matchsticks under crown boards if i am on open OMFs

i have various extracts from Beekeepers Annuals by B Mobus on the subject of ventilation but as they are copyright of NBB, i cannot post on the forum . howerever if you wish to see them for your own personal use, please pm me ( photo attached)

Last edited:
That is for feeding and not for ventilating.

And if you read the rest of the post and not selectively quote that is exactly what he is saying :rolleyes: - what a pointless post, well worth your 50yrs experience :beatdeadhorse5:

And if you read the rest of the post and not selectively quote that is exactly what he is saying :rolleyes: - what a pointless post, well worth your 50yrs experience :beatdeadhorse5:

What ever...I wonder who writes here pointles posts?

I think there will now be a number of confused newbees after reading the various replies batted back and forth on this thread. Many of us, myself included, were taught by older beeks who diligently passed on the 'lore' of beekeeping to their hungry charges. Sometimes, it takes a bit of undoing what you were taught. Yes, I have been guilty of using those little white bits of wood in the corners of my hive top (its like 'that' play which shall not be mentioned on this forum sometimes!). And it took me a few years to go over to OMF's. So I appreciate the sentiments expressed such as 'the bees will tell you what they want, and your own experience will advise you what to do. However, if the advice was clear and reasoned we could save ourselves the heartache of losing colonies through well meant but misguided advice.
So having read this thread I am non the wiser as to ventilation. :eek:

So having read this thread I am non the wiser as to ventilation.

So the next time you inspect your colonies, just take with you a piece of wire mesh (like the OMF or finer), and place it securely over your crownboard hole. Observe at the next inspection. Take note of your observations. Ask yourself the question: Why did they do that? When you realise it was because they didn't want that ventilation provided by yourself, come to a conclusion on the topic. So simple, everyone can do it. I just wonder why so many out there ponder the topic but don't check it out. It is so very simple and easy to do. Even the newest, greenest beek would manage to do it and come to a logical conclusion.

It really is a 'no brainer'.

Ha!

That's as maybe

....but they've never propolised the gap round the edge when I've put matchsticks under the corners of the crown board.

In all fairness.... with omf I only do it when I use glazed crown boards as drops of condensation form on the glass and drip down into the brood without any top ventilation.

Ha!

You need to go back to previous threads. I clearly remember tonybloke putting you right about that.

Some never seem to learn. Glass crownboards need insulation over. The insulation value of glass is rubbish, hence the condensation. Are the windows in your house double glazed? I wonder why that might be a good idea.

you still get condensation even with insulation above

Really? Clearly not properly insulated. If done properly the inner surface temperature would be the at the inside hive temperature, so be the same as for a ply crownboard.

None of mine suffer from condensation.

Interesting thread. I'm on OMF no tray, crown board has feeder centre hole which I put bit of ply over and bees sealed with propolis. Roof vents, but I assumed this was to vent the roof void, like in a house. Do you guys use kingspan above the crown board all year or just in winter. Also what thickness?
Thanks

you still get condensation even with insulation above

The dew point (ie condensation) is not normally in the hive but either at the boundary cold air below the OMF or inter constitutionally within the the hive wall.....just like a modern constructed heavily insulated house. A poly hive is best at demonstrating this but with wooden hives in extreme cold weather you can get marginal condensation on the inner face of the hive wall but not above the brood nest on the crown board( thats the killer)

so if you are getting condensation on the crown board then the R vlaue of your insulation is wrong, very wrong

Last edited:
The dew point (ie condensation) is not normally in the hive but either at the boundary cold air below the OMF or .............

I have wooden inner roof 10 mm thick. Then there is a foam plastic 70 mm matress. Condensation does not happens but moisture goes via inner cover. It condensates to the rainroof. If matress touches to the metal sheet of raincover, water returns to the inner roof. - So velilation of loft.

I use 3 cm polystyre boards as temporary roof in artificial swarm colonies.

I have used them as long covers but they do not stand long time. Waste of materials and difficult to keep clean.

I have the same roof system around the year.

"Do you guys use kingspan above the crown board all year or just in winter. Also what thickness?"

just in winter. at least 50mm and in direct contact with CB surface all over.

if you want to feed fondant in takeway tubs - cut out an appropriate shape which can be replace when tub not there. second whole sheet of kingspan above (all enclosed in a super).

otherwise 1 sheet of kingspan and an eke below solid CB for a big slab of fondant (job done in one go).

Wow, thank you all for the comments, just as a side issue I use a perspex crown board, with holes, and there is no propolise on it at all, has anybody had a similar situation?

Latest posts

Back