Wasps or Ventilation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chunky Plumpy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hello, I need a little help please as my bees appear to be trying to cool the hive by hanging around the entrance which I’ve narrowed considerably:

59F12186-657A-4395-BEF6-2767CA774367.jpeg

The problem is there are wasps all around the place so I narrowed the entrance a while back to make defending easier.

I was just out plugging the cone vents on the roof (WBC) as small wasps were entering the tip of the cone and robbing my full super of honey stored above the solid crown board; temp store in readiness for my first ever harvest this weekend!

I watched the entrance and no wasps appeared to be trying their luck so I dare not increase the opening for ventilation. Do I let them fan away through the tiny gap in the sweltering heat tomorrow again or should I do something to help air flow?

The hive has a mesh floor so I assumed that would be ample ventilation but still here I am the anxious novice once more. Should I leave them well alone?

Thanks, CP.

You’ve got a mesh floor I really wouldn’t worry about giving them extra. That entrance looks fine to me that’s literally a few bees, half the hive will beard out the front if needed!

I need a little help please as my bees appear to be trying to cool the hive by hanging around the entrance which I’ve narrowed considerably:
so they're doing their job - no need for you to interfere, they will cope admirably
That size gap is the same as a standard entrance on solid floor Langstroth hives out in Lesotho. The temperatures we are 'enduring' at the moment is about the same as the average autumn temperatures out there.

Thanks @Ian123.

I did a lot of reading about insulation and moisture which appears to favour tight seals above and openings below; preventing cool spots for moisture above the hive. There was a cracking article link in another thread.

Obviously it hits the mid thirties only a few weeks after me making improvements so I started doubting myself 🙄

I shall continue to watch and not disturb. Thanks again. CP.

Latest posts

Back