Here come comes Hive Beetle !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s the best method of introduction!

From a nuc of bees supplied by the Beeequipment folk near Cantrrrbury Kent with a £10 discount... to replace those what you have lost to the recent storm apparently!

Least it seems that was ehat the comment was about...I may be completely wrong
Who knows????

Chons da

; said:

I'm not getting at anyone in particular, but, when you deride imports, you have to stop driving imported cars/stop eating imported food/stop going on foreign holidays/etc etc etc....the list is pretty much endless.
The best way to prevent incursion by unwanted pests is to be vigilant and work together. p-ing people off isn't the way to get their co-operation

On Bee Equipment's website a nuc of "Italian Buckfast" bees costs £100 less than a nuc of "British Buckfast" bees (£135 vs £235 collected). Is it really so much cheaper to make nucs in Italy and then ship them to Kent? Or are they just profiteering on the "British Buckfasts"? Or is that being too cynical?

On Bee Equipment's website a nuc of "Italian Buckfast" bees costs £100 less than a nuc of "British Buckfast" bees (£135 vs £235 collected). Is it really so much cheaper to make nucs in Italy and then ship them to Kent? Or are they just profiteering on the "British Buckfasts"? Or is that being too cynical?

1kg of package bees with queen is probably costing €55 each collected from northern Italy. Add in transport, 5 frames and a gallon of Syrup and maybe a 90% queen acceptance rate

Oh no profiteering again they are actually cheaper than the main suppliers by a good margin!

Last edited:
I'm not getting at anyone in particular, but, when you deride imports, you have to stop driving imported cars/stop eating imported food/stop going on foreign holidays/etc etc etc....the list is pretty much endless.
The best way to prevent incursion by unwanted pests is to be vigilant and work together. p-ing people off isn't the way to get their co-operation

Conflating importing inanimate objects and live creatures is a very silly position to take given the associated risks imho.

Conflating importing inanimate objects and live creatures is a very silly position to take given the associated risks imho.
err

Asian hornets came over in crates packed with goods from China, in caravans that have been in France etc..

IF you want to be serious about importation of unwanted species, you need to fumigate everything...:paparazzi:

Asian hornets are imported in France by pottery, if I recall right?
Sorry, didn't saw madasafish answered before me..

Recently we are blessed with some insects which will massacre our oaks. It is said it came with frequent truck transport through our country toward western Europe.. from Turkey.

Last edited:
err

Asian hornets came over in crates packed with goods from China, in caravans that have been in France etc..

IF you want to be serious about importation of unwanted species, you need to fumigate everything...:paparazzi:

That would have to include soil as well, flowers from the Channel Islands etc.

You really need to check up on your enemy fruit and plants are very real risks of SHB importation.

In most countries where SHB is found it's considered more of a nuisance (in weak colonies) than a serious pest. Whilst it would be good to not have it...it will get here....a bit slower than the potential life threatening corona virus.....
As will Asian Hornet....when the positive sightings outweigh the resources available to deal with them

Or like when Diabrotica virgifera virgifera came to Europe. Outbreak was around civilian airport in Belgrade.. I doubt that someone imported corn by the plane in country where is corn cheap. It came as unwanted passenger - deliberately or not. It increase production cost some say 30%. Unfortunately when world became one big village, even some good things are shared also we share the calamities.. So globalization is tricky to judge upon..

Also long time ago I watched some documentary that in UK is imported with soil in potted plants from New Zealand some worm which eradicate earthworm. I don't know how is situation today or is it spread to European mainland, but I do know without earthworm.. it is huge blow to soil fertility if we lose earthworm..

Last edited:
You really need to check up on your enemy fruit and plants are very real risks of SHB importation.

I believe the greater risk is viral, which in most cases needs a live host.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back