Hello-New to the forum why not post a "Hi" message for other users to welcome you.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice on ducking!

I am a standard vet, mainly mixed practice, but I really like the change that keeping bees gives me.

There are very few entomological vets about (not sure if there are any who do it as a job), I know a few are interested from keeping bees themselves. For university I researched the approaches to treating various diseases EFB, AFB and also possible causes of CCD, and tried to explain them to laymen in the veterinary field.

I am interested in some of the more unusual properties of honey and its antiseptic effects, which, of course fits into my job.

I am not by a long way an expert, and I have much to learn in the practical field of beekeeping, but I am learning slowly.

Martin

Well stand by matey, if you tune in to this site for any length of time, you're sure going to learn a lot about bickering...

Brian

Hi everyone,i'm phill(wife calls me phillis,that explains that!)i'm a virgin bee just starting out and hoping to be a beek by the end of spring.always on the lookout for tips and advice and i think this place will help with all the friendly people.

Welcome Al, glad you explainedyour handle, not that it makes any difference these days.

Now then, are you new to fora, or new to beekeeping?

Regards, RAB

Hi new to both thanks, been watching for a while and will try not to ask too many stupid things

I too missed this one. Husband and wife team starting out on our beekeeping adventures. In the Midlands, looking forward to chatting you you all at somepoint

Hello

Hello,

I'm a prospective beekeeper. Doing a course (done the theory sessions - fascninating), and just starting the practical. Absolutely loving it. Bought a hive but have no bees yet, hoping for a swarm perhaps.

Live in North Hampshire.

Alynewbee

Yep, I think I'm coming to realise that. Not quite 8 am and where am I? Here!
Thanks for the welcome.

Hello all,

My name is Rich and I've just started the Co-op Plan Bee scheme. I'm learning about bee keeping, have the hive (not assembled yet) and am waiting for my bees.

In a lovely coincidence my workplace is looking to keep bees on the roof so I'm going to get involved in that too.

Hi Folks,
I'm relatively new to beekeeping, my wife and I have 2 hives at the moment, we split our first hive a few months ago.
My wife is a bit more knowledgeable about bees than me, she has attended some excellent courses and night classes laid on by our local bee association over the last few years.
Today should be an interesting day, we're going to extract our first honey.

Possibly a bit late, as I've already asked the forum for advice and had reassuring help

Hello from the Oxon/Warks border, keeping bees in a frost hollow cut into the north facing scarp slope of the Cotswolds

Some of my earliest memories are of helping my father with bees in his garden-cum-smallholding, producing honey that he sold in his village shop

In the 1970s I got badly stung by some angry African bees and have been a bit phobic since then!

My brother-in-law started a hive in our paddock and got me interested again, so I have added a second of own, and so far we are all getting on very well (I took the sting I got on the first day as a token of affection)

Planning to add the first super today to give them a bit more room

Thanks for the warm welcome so far

David

Hi all, a bit late to this section but it is an opportunity to say hi to you all and thanks for the help so far. I am pretty new to the whole beekeeping thing, we had some hives at school which I used to help with but that mainly involved taking the honey and brief inspections, that was early 90's before varroa took off. I joined my parents, who had always shown an interest in beekeeping, to the New Forest BKA last year so they did the theory course there, sadly I work abroad a fair bit so was not able to do the course. I have been reading their notes as well as Hooper's book, Bees at the Bottom of Your Garden plus a heap of other books that we have.
I joined the NFBKA but as of yet have been away every time they have had a meeting, fingers crossed for the rest of the year....

in April, one of the members mentioned that he needed to downsize his apiary so we managed to get 3 colonies and the hives. One was given to me as a birthday present and I duly snaffled a swarm the the following week and along with an artificial swarm that we did on another hive, we now have 5 hives in a space at the back of the garden, happy days. The guy who sold us the hives has been great, popping over and checking out progress as well as letting me pick his brains on a regular basis. The bees were on OSR at the pervious owners, so we managed to get 40 jars of honey extracted before it went too far in the comb.

Away from the hives I am a full time photographer and a part time commercial skipper, Divemaster and underwater photography teacher..... did I mention that I have been known to play golf as well, but only if the weather is good :)

Anyway, I look forward to learning loads here and hopefully contributing something to the forum as well as I gain more experience.

Latest posts

Back