Harper Adams in the news

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you now labelling vegans as potential terrorists?
funnily enough - that was one of the first investigations I got involved in , the first week in uniform and liaising with special branch

I'm doing the vegan thing at the moment, its very nice.

I'm gonna open the can of worms here ..........So being Vegan based on animal welfare issues , fair enough , but being vegan because it's better for the environment , well.....it isnt .All your grub is essentially shipped from all over the world and from unregulated countries, then theres the dirty great container ships bringing it over , I know, I used to work on one of them.110,000 horsepower of ship belching out black smoke to bring you your fresh avocado is far worse than Shenkin the sheep farmer in Wales with an old hilux . So really ......the Welsh arnt that thick after all. You could even say they were the first to invent environmental management before the yoga mat brigade jumped on the electric band wagon .

I'm gonna open the can of worms here ..........So being Vegan based on animal welfare issues , fair enough , but being vegan because it's better for the environment , well.....it isnt .All your grub is essentially shipped from all over the world and from unregulated countries, then theres the dirty great container ships bringing it over , I know, I used to work on one of them.110,000 horsepower of ship belching out black smoke to bring you your fresh avocado is far worse than Shenkin the sheep farmer in Wales with an old hilux . So really ......the Welsh arnt that thick after all. You could even say they were the first to invent environmental management before the yoga mat brigade jumped on the electric band wagon .

I'm vegan because I have a disease that nearly killed me and needed a better diet as part of the treatment. The oddest thing about eating vegan is once people work I'm eating vegan they want to lecture me about it.

IMHO stereotyping or mocking a group of people because they have made a different dietary choice, is no more acceptable than mocking people of a different religion, ethnic origin or sexual orientation.
I thought Veganism was now classed as a religion after a High Court judgement?

Nothing there that i recognise in the vegans i know. Are you now labelling vegans as potential terrorists? Thats as ludicrous and offensive as labelling muslims as potential terrorists, or the Welsh as thick.
Are the Welsh any thicker than the English?

"Any prejudice based on race, skin colour, sexual orientation, disability, age or gender is clearly unacceptable. The subject has no control over any of these factors." I go further : the application of the value an attribute of the distribution of set to one of the members of set is mathematically wrong when it is evident that not all members of the set have an identical value of that attribute.
Racial discrimination is an example of a logical fallacy. If the average intelligence of people with green skin is below those with white skin it tells you nothing about the intelligence of of the person with green skin in front of you.
It requires no appeal to morals its just mathematically incorrect.

Vegan is a diet, people seem to confuse it with animal right activists.

From the vegan society website:

Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, humans and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals.

You said you were doing the 'vegan thing' you didn't define if you were following just the diet or veganism as a whole.

From the vegan society website:

Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, humans and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals.

You said you were doing the 'vegan thing' you didn't define if you were following just the diet or veganism as a whole.

The dictionary definition is:

a person who does not eat any food derived from animals and who typically does not use other animal products.

When I say I'm doing the vegan thing I'm using the word is the language defines it.

What makes me laugh is whenever people find out a eat a vegan diet they heap their own pre-convinced perceptions of why I do it onto me, I do it because I nearly died after spending a year in hospital and ending up in a bowel resection and was told to change my diet or **** in a bag for the rest of my life.

I don't give a toss if people eat bacon from a pig they beat to death with a rusty hammer.

Veganism - if it means U.S. almond milk rather than cows milk its hypocracy. Almonds in the U.S. require the mass murder of insects by pesticide in almond groves and the exploitation of honey bees in environment that result in higher frequency o f colony death due to high density,

The dictionary definition is:

a person who does not eat any food derived from animals and who typically does not use other animal products.

When I say I'm doing the vegan thing I'm using the word is the language defines it.

What makes me laugh is whenever people find out a eat a vegan diet they heap their own pre-convinced perceptions of why I do it onto me, I do it because I nearly died after spending a year in hospital and ending up in a bowel resection and was told to change my diet or **** in a bag for the rest of my life.

I don't give a toss if people eat bacon from a pig they beat to death with a rusty hammer.

So even your dictionary definition you are breaking. How can you not use other animal products of you own 10 hives? Even if you don't eat honey yourself you will be selling the animal products. But that aside (and I really am mainly being tongue in cheek). I am passing no pre-concieved ideas on you, I really dont care what diet you or anyone else follows (as long as it is legal) nor would I try to encourage you to change your diet.

Sorry to hear about your hospitalisation, I do hope you are in a better place now.

In an attempt to lighten the mood (and of course it may have the opposite effect):

How do you find a vegan at a party? Don't worry , they will find you! ;)

There is inconsistency in the vegan argument against keeping bees. Without bees very little fruit and veg around so all have to eat meat or just grains {speaking as a vegetarian}.
I agree.
I’m a firm believer in a varied diet. My mother taught me how to cook and how to shop locally and I did the same with my daughter. I eat little meat but what I do I enjoy. I also think that cattle farming is one of the biggest drivers of our climate change but horizon to horizon planting of almonds or soya is not the answer.

Back